How to Fold a Fitted Sheet

April 1, 2013 by 25 Comments

How many loads of laundry do you fold each week!?  We’re definitely in the double digits!  The craziest thing, my favorite laundry to fold is sheets because it looks like a lot when tossed on the couch, but is so fast to fold.  Do you know how to fold a fitted sheet?!  Like most tasks in life, a system makes it so manageable.  Here are Six Simple Steps to Folding Fitted Sheets!  Once you start you’ll never go back…

How to Fold a Fitted Sheet ItsOverflowing

Step One.  Slip both hands into two adjacent, inside-out corners of the longer side of the fitted sheet.

Folding-Fitted-Sheets-1-ItsOverflowing

Step Two. Bring these sides together and tuck the folds together so that the right side of fabric is showing. Two sides down – two sides to go.

Folding-Fitted-Sheets-ItsOverflowing-2

Step Three. Continue holding the tucked side in one hand and use your other hand to tuck the other two sides hanging together.

Folding-Fitted-Sheets-ItsOverflowing-3

Step Four.  Bring the two doubled sides together so that all four tucked corners are folded neatly together.

Folding-Fitted-Sheets-ItsOverflowing-4

Folding-Fitted-Sheets-ItsOverflowing-5

Folding-Fitted-Sheets-ItsOverflowing-6

Step Five.  Lay the folded fitted sheet on a flat surface, fold in the elastic edges, and straighten out any wrinkles.

Folding-Fitted-Sheets-ItsOverflowing-7

Step Six.  Continue folding until the fitted sheet is in the rectangle size you prefer in your linen closet.

Folding-Fitted-Sheets-ItsOverflowing-8

Folding-Fitted-Sheets-ItsOverflowing-9

It really is that simple and folding fitted sheets in a predictable way makes the task of putting it on the mattress so much easier!

Folding-Fitted-Sheets-ItsOverflowing-10

And if you want to take it an extra step like my mom does, store the entire folded set inside one of the pillow cases!

Martha Stewart

Martha

Linking up at: Savvy Southern Style, Between Naps on the Porch

Comments

25 Responses to “How to Fold a Fitted Sheet”
  1. Deb says:

That is wonderful I am getting very busy tomorrow. Your butterfly fitted sheet and matching pillowcases are just so beautiful too

2. I love the idea of storing them inside the pillow case! I have to start doing that ;)

3. Bliss says:

Have you been looking in my linen closet and felt sorry for me?

Bliss

4. Yours looks so amazing! I fold mine the same way, but they are never that neat or flat looking. It could be that I’m not quite patient enough…hmmm.
    Thanks for the tips.
    KC

5. Shelia says:

I love this method of folding a sheet! I’ve seen a video a few years and it really changed my life! Well, my sheet folding life, that is! :)
    I’m sure folks will appreciate this.
    be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

6. Allyson says:

This is exactly my method…I learned it working at a day care and folding about a million crib sheets, and people always ask how I do it!

7. Evelynwann says:

I have gotta try this next time. I just simply very clumsy in folding it so nicely as you did. Good tips for me, thanks!!

8. Julie says:

What luck! Today is sheet washing day. Will be trying this. If I can do it right it will save me so much room in my linen closet. Thanks for sharing!

9. Chaney says:

Man, I need to just make myself do this! I love the look of pretty folded sheets, but my folding method is less than ideal :). I do put the matching set inside a pillowcase though – makes even a messy folding job look great!

10. Suz says:

I’ve heard of this done before, Aimee, but can’t recall a tut on how to DO it– thanks much for the tips:)

Thanks for sharing with us, and it’s always great to see creative minds at work. :)

Visiting from Frugal Friday@ The Shabby Nest linky party
    Smiles,
    Suz @MaytagNMom
    NW Illinois
    CURRENT PROJECT OF MINE AT LINKY PARTIES

11. Kathy Gossen says:

You make it look so easy! ;) Thanks for sharing!  I’d  love to have you link this to Titus 2 Tuesday this week on Cornerstone Confessions.. I hope to see you there.
    Kathy

12. this is a much better way of explaining it than I did with my kids LOL Great info

13. Bethany says:

Oh my goodness! THANK you!

14. LOVE the easy picture tutorial! Is it bad I’m planning on organizing my linen closet now?!! =) Found you via TaterTot & Jello Party! PINNED!

15. Emily @ The Benson Street says:

I love that last little touch of putting the sheets in the pillow case! Such a fun idea and I need this tutorial for sure!

Emily @ The Benson Street

P.S. found you at 504 Main

16. Bethany K says:

Thanks for the info! Found you through a Linky Party but I am not sure which one… I’m new to the blog world. You’ll have to forgive me. :)

Back to the sheets – I’d like to see a video of this! I’ve tried before, but I feel like I’d need an extra set of hands. I can see myself getting all tangled up in the corners and the folds. But, I’ll second what someone else said: you made it look easy. I’ll try again!

17. Bridget says:

This is a great tutorial. I just made a video for a friend last night who was bummed that she couldn’t figure out how to fold fitted sheets – had I found this sooner, I could have sent it to her instead!

ps – cute sheets!

18. Rita says:

Wow! I am going to have to try this! Thanks for sharing!

19. deedee says:

Wow this is a good tip! Thank you!

20. Kady says:

Your tutorial looks good, I’m going to give this a try! No matter how hard I try this is one of those things that seem impossible to me!

21. Ashley says:

My mother-in-law taught me this trick and I still can’t seem to master it. I will have to try your’s step by step because you make it look so easy.

22. Sorting in a matching pillowcase is such a great idea. Your linen closet is a visual treat. Visiting from Funky Junk.
    Joy

23. Well, I have the folding part down already but I never thought of using the pillow case for storing them! Great idea!

24. Sharon says:

I have been folding my sheets like this for years but would love to find out how to fold them for the pillow case. I have tried a few different configurations after seeing it in Martha’s website, but can’t seem to figure out how she folds for the shape of the pillow case. Any tuts on this? Thanks