Shoe Storage Solutions

June 17, 2013 by 27 Comments

How do you get it organized!?!  I like workable solutions that keeps my family’s clutter to a minimum without me having to become a nag!!  I have a different shoe system set up in just about every room of my house, some ideas are from container store and some are my own tried and true solutions.  When my kids get home, without a seconds delay, socks and shoes start flying in the air.

Container Store Shoe Storage@ItsOverflowing

The picture below shows one of my favorite baskets.  I bet you already figured out why I love it so much — it’s in a prime location!  As soon as my sweeties walk through the door, this basket is there to welcome them (and stash their shoes).  Without this basket, there are six little shoes scattered in my kitchen and living room in two seconds flat!  A wire basket doesn’t allow the dirt and mud to accumulate in the bottom.  With three little kids I’m sweeping daily anyways, it’s easy to scoot the basket over and sweet away the dirt without having to empty out the shoe basket.

Shoe Basket-ItsOverflowing

For a modern flair on shoe organization, this pvc pipe system from Circle Design Studio offers enough room for the family and friends.

Creative Shoe Storage

My sister made this DIY bench from a reclaimed dresser.  One girl’s trash is another girl’s treasure.  This bench in the laundry room has a basket underneath for each member of her family to stash their shoes.

mudroom shoe storage-ItsOverflowing

Here’s another great idea for in the laundry room or by the door you use most often.  Buckets on shelves.  So much cuter than shoes scattered on the floor!

Shoe Storage Solutions

BHG

When our basket by the back door gets filled up, my sweeties are called to recover all of their shoes.  When shoes are tossed into the bottom of a closet, one of them always ends up missing.  I love having an over-the-door shoe storage for my daughter.  The matches are kept together and her shoes are easy to find!

hanging shoe storage-ItsOverflowing

Hanging Shoes-ItsOverflowing

In my boys’ closet, each little guy has a cleaning supply bucket with their name on it.  This helps keep their shoes contained and easy to find when we’re rushing out the door.

Organizing Kids Shoes ItsOverflowing

I have stored my shoes on these same shelves in my closet for years.  This system is indestructible and the same shelves can be found at lots of different stores and it seems most are interchangeable.

Shoe Shelf Storage-ItsOverflowing2

Shoe Shelf - ItsOverflowingMy older sister (there are four of us girls) stores her dress shoes in plastic shoe boxes in her closet.  It’s amazing how well they guard against dust, and I love that they stack so perfectly in her closet.  Stud (my hubby) doesn’t know it yet, but his shoes will be transitioning soon.  He doesn’t have a lot of shoes, but what he has are very nice and rarely replaced.  Reuseable, clear shoe boxes is a perfect solution.

Shoe Box Storage in Closet - ItsOverflowing

And for shoes that I don’t use very often, but I’m not ready to part with —  I keep a shoe organization system under my bed.

Underbed Storage ItsOverflowing

What are your favorite get it organized tips!?!

Here are more of my favorite ways to –

Get it Organized

Linking up at: Savvy Southern Style, Between Naps on the Porch

Comments

27 Responses to “Shoe Storage Solutions”
  1. Jenna says:

yeah, I need to organize my shoes! thanks for reminding me and giving me some ideas!

2. Holly says:

These are great ideas (and great shoes!!!!) Thanks for sharing. Hugs, Holly

3. Great ideas! I have a couple of the under-the-bed shoe organizers, too. They are super handy. I am DROOLING over all the beautiful matching hangers in your sister’s closet – someday!!! :)

4. thanks for sharing with us these ideas Aimee! we have ours in a huge basket at the entrance! the rest of them are hidden in a closet and the other ones in the basement! :-)
    wish you a great week!

5. Jo-Anne says:

I have an old cardboard box in the corner of my room that I use as a shoe box and just toss my shoes in it………….I would like something better something more oragised but hell not happening for many reasons………….space, money, lazyness………..lol

6. Becky says:

I think every person needs one of you kept in their closet right next to the vacumn and then everything would be clean and orderly in the world!

7. Yvonne @ StoneGable says:

Great ideas! I store my shoes in those clear boxes! I really like the baskets at your back door too!
    What I really need to do is go through my shoes and give most of them to Goodwill!
    Thanks for the inspiration!

8. Angela says:

Awesome ideas! I’ve been using the metal shelving, usually for food, but I made the shelves shoe height. This system works pretty well for me. The shoe I wear most go on the top or bottom.

9. Kris Lee says:

Now what to do with my daughter’s 100+ pairs of shoes. Sounds like a great idea on paper, but she isn’t going to keep up with it and with so many shoes unless we build a complete storage system, it isn’t going to happen. They currently reside in a LARGE rugged, truck storage container in the closet. I don’t even think she knows what is in the bottom…LOL.
    And shoes are not the only thing she has in excess, don’t even get me started on the shirts…….!!!

10. VICKIE says:

Boy do I need to organize my shoes-I have way to many! Good ideas.

11. so many great ideas for shoes! They really can take over! I would love it if you would share this at my linking party today! http://www.fidlersunderoneroof.com/2013/06/fidlin-fridays-link-party_21.html

12. Susan says:

We don’t wear our shoes in our house so we have piles of shoes at our door. I’m always looking for new ways to organize our shoes. I’d love if you’d come and share at Inspire Us Thursday at Organized 31. http://organized31.blogspot.com/2013/06/inspire-us-thursday-link-party-4.html

13. Perhaps my shoes would be easier to keep organized if I parted ways with a few pairs. Thanks for sharing some helpful ideas.
    His blessings,
    Kim @ Curtain Queen

14. Martha Reichelderfer says:

My husband use to work at the State Liquor store and he would bring home boxes with dividers in for the bottles and they were ideal for storing shoes……Martha

15. These are some great ideas, but I have to tell you that the highlight of this post for me was seeing the way you used an old dresser piece as a bench. So clever and really neat looking.

16. Chelsea says:

Such a great idea! Thank you for sharing. I’d like to invite you to our Organize Me! Sizzlin’ Summer Link Up Party at Get Your Crap Together!

17. I just seen this and I had just posted my new shoe rack! Come and check it out!!

Thanks Shelly

18. Sabrina says:

Love these ideas! I tell my clients “be creative in making your entry way storage. Every home has a unique place to store shoes and coats. You just need to find them”. Great pics. Thanks for sharing.

19. Tamara Knudtson says:

Where did you find your basket? We have the big plastic buckets but since we moved, I don’t have space for them. I love that you can see through the bucket and that dirt/sand/wood chips just fall through and don’t build up. Love, love this idea. Thanks for sharing.

• Aimee says:

I think I found it at Pier 1 Imports, but it’s been a little while. I’m going to keep at eye out for another! I’ll send you an email if I find one Tamara! Xo, Aimee

20. Cristina says:

Hahaha I’ve the plastic boxes! They’re from The Container Store. I’ve about 140 of them. I buy them in boxes of 20 so they cost less. And it has merit, because I live in Spain and I carry those 20-boxes in the plane. Sometimes I check it & pray for it to arrive. They’re great. I sort & pile them by theme: sneackers, ballerinas, slingbacks, dress-up, wedges…. If the sandals are flat up to 3 pairs, fit in one box.
    Go for them, they’re worth it :-)

21. Kit says:

Any idea where your sister found those great baskets that she put under the bench?? Such a great combo, but I can’t seem to find anything like them.

Thanks much!

22. yagyrlr says:

I love the shoe shelf idea