Cutting Trim – Kitchen Cabinet Close Up

July 15, 2013 by 27 Comments

I still love our Kitchen Cabinet Update!  Cutting Trim allowed us to update our cabinets, pennies per door!   Over the past year I’ve emailed a lot of pictures to sweet readers that wanted to see a close up picture of the final reveal!   I love the interaction with each of you and hope that you’ll continue to take the time to correspond!   With the number of questions I’ve received, I assume others would be interested in seeing a few close up shots of the edges and corners –

Kitchen Cabinet Makeover 4 @ItsOverflowing

For those of you who didn’t see the before pictures, here’s a picture and you can read all about how we updated our kitchen (here).

DSC_0018_3

Aubree asked, “Could you post more about how you managed to work around the rounded edges of your cabinets, as they did not look square and sharp.”  Yes, our cabinets were rounded.  Instead of trying to change their shape, I went with it.  As I added the trim, I didn’t try to mesh the ninty degree edges with the rounded edges.  I created an inset border.  The thin edge added extra dimension to the preciously bland cabinets.

Kitchen Cabinet Makeover 5 @ItsOverflowing

Here’s one more angle to hopefully help make more sense.  I did add a little caulk in the areas that there was a little gaping, but the need for caulk was very minimal.  Adding paint to the cabinets and trim created the cohesive look I was hoping to achieve!

Kitchen Cabinet Makeover 8 @ItsOverflowing

If you want to learn more about the trim, paint, and hardware I used, check out my…

Kitchen Remodel Steps

Kitchen Remodel Steps

Linking up at: Savvy Southern Style, Between Naps on the Porch

Comments

27 Responses to “Cutting Trim – Kitchen Cabinet Close Up”
  1. Rosemary says:

Fabulous update. It’s so cheerful and bright now. I love it.

2. Juju says:

Hi Aimee ~

We are finally painting our cabinets! We are doing the upper cabinets in a cream color, and the bottom cabinets in “Espresso Beans”, a rich dark brown.
    I’ll be posting an update on my blog:

Thank you SOOOOO much for all your helpful advice on our own kitchen cabinet makeover!

3. Mary says:

Fantastic post Aimee! Amazing what a little color and trim can do to your kitchen right? So inspirational, I’m planning to do this with my cabinets as well!

4. Betty says:

Aimee,
    I love the cabinet/kitchen re-do.
    My kitchen is similar in needing an update. Did you have any issues with the function of the drawers? Mine have the old rollers mounted at the front of the cabinet opening for the drawer. The wood on the bottom of the drawer eats away each time the drawer is opened, leaving wood shavings all in the cabinet and dishes underneath. Have you had any experience replacing/adding drawer slides? Love your posts. Thank you

• Aimee says:

Betty, Thanks so much! My drawers seem to pull in and out real easily, but my neighbor was having a similar problem and he did add rollers. He seemed to think it was an easy DIY. XO, Aimee

5. I stumbled onto this post from Pinterest, and I’m so happy I did! We are working on our kitchen too and we have old 70′s knotty pine cabinets with rounded edges. Since the edges were rounded, I didn’t think I could add any molding or anything to them. So glad I’m wrong! Pinning this!

6. I am so impressed. You can’t tell these cabinets are not brand new!! Great job, they look fabulous!!

Shawna

7. Karol says:

we are going to redo our kitchen cabinets, did you paint with brush or roller or did you spray paint them?
    They look great!!

8. Sharon says:

Hi Aimee, beautiful kitchen! You did a wonderful job. My husband and I have a kitchen remodel planned before the end of the year and we were wondering about the same issue of rounded doors. Your solution is perfect. Gives a little more detailed look to the trim too. We will definitely be trying your suggestion. I do have one question however. Because you used plywood, how do the edges look? I am imagining that the cut edges of the plywood would be rough and you would see the different plys. Did you have to use filler on them to smooth it out? Would you be able to send a really close-up photo of the door trim edge? I hope I am explaining myself properly. We were thinking of getting our local millworks guy to make us frames out of poplar or some other type of wood, but if the plywood works, that is definitely a cheaper option.
    Thanks

• Karen H. says:

I was hoping for a much closer up picture, as well. Very curious to see the detail.

Thank you so much! And your kitchen looks really great!

• Aimee says:

Because the doors are all white, it’s tough to get the camera to focus when it’s closer. Hope these help. You could pick up a paint stirer and hold it up to your cabinets to get an idea, it really does blend well. XO, Aimee

9. Adele says:

This is exactly what I want to do! My husband and I just bought a house and are renovating pretty much everything but don’t have the kind of money to completely rip out the kitchen. Plus, I’m not really a fan of the kitchen layout, so I’d rather live with it and figure out what I’d prefer and design my new kitchen from scratch for the day when I can fully renovate (and maybe knock down some walls). That doesn’t mean I should have to look at and live with an ugly kitchen. This is so perfect for what I want to do. Can’t wait to get started!