Setting Up Boys Bedroom

October 7, 2013 by 23 Comments

Whether you’ve lived in a house for a long time or just recently moved, making your home work for you is a long journey.  Don’t be afraid to think outside the box and change up the spaces in your home to find the flow that works best.  If you have any rooms that are job sharing with another room try to come up with a way to consolidate.  My big freeing moment came when I realized that the playroom and boys bedroom being at opposite ends of the house was creating more work than I had anticipated.  There was a constant trail of toys, shoes, and clothes between the two spaces.

Setting Up Boys Bedroom

Boys Bedroom@ItsOverflowing

Side note: I love how the room is still completely in boxes, but the boys have the essentials unpacked — what’s a boys bedroom without a Nerf basketball hoop?  Did you see my house in its current state — Moving Houses, Showing the Mess.

Boys Bedroom @ItsOverflowing 4

The best way to get rid of clutter and start simplifying your home is recognizing when a system isn’t working.

Boys Bedroom @ItsOverflowing 5

The boys small bedroom downstairs stored a few toys and the rest were upstairs in the playroom. A lot of time was spent dragging toys from one space to the other (or finding a common space in the middle).  Why not set the boys up in the large space with all of their toys?  It took a little convincing to get Stud ready for this change.  The playroom doesn’t have a closet with a rod, it doesn’t have a door, and there isn’t a bathroom on the second story.  Despite all odds stacked against this idea, the boys were stoked and Stud decided to let us give it a try.  (Meaning he agreed to move the bunks).

Boys Bedroom @ItsOverflowing 7

I planned to paint the scarlet red walls upstairs when the downstairs was complete, but the more I considered the flow of our home, the more eager I was to start painting the playroom and get the bunks upstairs.

Boys Bedroom @ItsOverflowing 8

So we moved everything to the center of the room…

Boys Bedroom Makeover @ItsOverflowing

And started painting — white on the ceiling, gray owl on the walls.

Boys Bedroom @ItsOverflowing 9

Don’t worry, I set the camera down and helped a LOT.  And my sweeties kept us entertained by playing episode after episode of the TLC show, Clean Sweep.  It’s one of our favorite Netflix shows.

Boys Bedroom @ItsOverflowing 1

The updated color is perfect!

Boys Bedroom Makeover @ItsOverflowing

Gray Owl works so much better than Scarlet Red in this space.

Boys Bedroom Makeover @ItsOverflowing 2

Eventually we will cover up the black trim, but we both decided that could wait a few months.  Lightening the walls made the room feel larger and brighter.

Boys Bedroom Makeover @ItsOverflowing 3

Before Stud had time to get the bunks together, my boys had already decorated their new room – there’s that Nerf basketball hoop again.

Boys Bedroom Makeover @ItsOverflowing 5

After a little trial period, all of us love the new setup.  The function of this room completely works!  (I’ll share updated pics real soon).  This week I’ll show you more ways I decluttered and organized the boys massive pile of toys!  And eventually I want to show you my plans for my new empty space – I love wide open spaces!!!

Boys Bedroom Makeover @ItsOverflowing 6

Their new room needs to have three functions:  a bedroom, a playroom, and lounging area.  I wonder if we can make their bunk room this cool?

Bunk Room for boys bedroom.

Design Guide

What are your thoughts on wood planked walls?

Wood Planked Walls Boys Bedroom

freshome

I love working on putting Everything in its Place.  Are there any spaces not making sense in your home!?  Is there a space that is job sharing?  Feel the freedom to repurpose spaces differently than their intended purpose!

Update:  I was asked for a little more scoop on how this works.  The playroom is still the playroom AND it is now their bedroom, too.  My boys are 18 months apart and inseparable, best friends.  The boys LOVE being in the playroom – playing cars, playmobile, legos, and karate.  Little B prefers her room – playing dolls, styling her hair, reading, and drawing.  Moving the boys into the playroom was actually not a huge change for them, except they are now in there at night, too.  As a family we have both a family room and a living room for family and friend chill time.  The upstairs is definitely a fun hangout spot for the little boys and all their neighborhood friends!

One thing we swore we’d never do is let them have a TV in their room. We bought the playroom TV before switching the space to a bedroom/playroom. After some negotiating between Stud and I, the TV stayed. We don’t have cable, but we do have Netflix (set to the kids section).  They are only allowed to watch TV and use their PS3 on the weekends.  So far that’s been easy to enforce — they’re sweet boys!

I’m still working on defining the space that the boys are no longer using, but I’m leaning towards a guest room!

Linking up at: Savvy Southern Style, Between Naps on the Porch

Comments

23 Responses to “Setting Up Boys Bedroom”
  1. Julia @cuckoo4design says:

What a huge space and it looks so much better without the red.

2. Diana says:

Whoa, I like red, but not in hugh doses. The boys are going to love this and we all know boys need space to play. I can’t wait to see the progression.

3. Can’t wait to see the update. I’m sure rethinking the space will be a blessing. What will you do with the downstairs bedroom the boys were in before?

Christy @ Creating a Beautiful Life

4. cassie says:

wow. that was a lot of red!! SO much better now!

5. I love love love those inspired moments when you realize something isn’t working and something else can be perfect! I can’t wait to see how it turns out!

6. Wow what a big difference it made that you painted the walls. It is so much better now. I love the bunk bed idea. That is so cool!!

7. Michele says:

Great choice in painting those walls. It was blinding! Amazing transformations come from paint. I just planked a wall in my bathroom and LOVE it. I am trying to decide where else to do it!
    Check it out and let me know what you think. http://shelstringblog.blogspot.com/2013/09/a-planked-wall.html
    I’ve loved seeing what all you’re doing on your new home!!

8. Lydia Wagner says:

Oh wow! I didn’t see this coming!! But I love it!

And the red walls and ceiling are not missed!!

Haha!

9. Connie says:

Wil the boys have a problem always having people in their room? Maybe I’m not understanding what this room is now. So the playroom is still the play room and also the boys room? What are you doing with their empty room? Can’t wait to see!

• Aimee says:

Great question Connie! Yes, the playroom is still the playroom AND their bedroom, too. My boys are 18 months apart and totally best friends. When we moved into our home (almost two months ago) all of their toys ended up in the playroom and all of my little girls toys were stored in her room. The boys LOVE being up there, she prefers her room – usually reading or drawing. As a family we have both the family room and the living room for chill time. The upstairs is definitely a fun hangout spot for the little boys on the street!

One thing we swore we’d never do is let them have a TV in their room. We bought the playroom TV before switching the space to a bedroom/playroom. After some negotiating between Stud and I, the TV stayed. We don’t have cable, but we do have Netflix (set to the kids section). They are only allowed on the TV or to use their gaming system on the weekends and so far that’s been easy to enforce — they’re sweet boys!

XO, Aimee

10. This is totally going to come in handy for me one day considering how fast my little boy is growing up!

11. Angie Rice says:

Hi! The room transformation is amazing! I was wondering if those 2 white chairs are the Ikea chairs? If so how do you like them? I am getting ready to purchase. Thanks much!!

• Aimee says:

We have the ektorp couch and chair AND a jennylund chair. I think a lot depends on where you’re using your chairs — how much room you have. But my favorite is the ektorp. I love the couch and chair SO MUCH. And white replacement slipcovers are ridiculously inexpensive, not to mention machine washable! :) XO, Aimee

12. Michelle says:

I love seeing the start of a project and then it come to life. Im sure its going to look great whatever you do. Bunk beds can definatly be made into something cool and I know kids love them, I had one in my room growing up and it was always the best part of a sleep over, fighting over the top bunk!

13. Petra says:

I am so excited for you about what you’ve done to the room! The Gray Owl is lovely (especially for boys) and I like it with the black trim (again, cool for boys)! The picture you showed of the bunk beds and sofa is very cool and I’m sure you could do something similar in the space you’ve set up. I don’t mind wall panelling at all – perhaps a feature wall? Can’t wait to see more posts on this. Well done! :-D

14. Debbie says:

wow. how many coats of paint did it take to cover all that red!? Not a fun room to paint, I’ll bet! I also have Netflix kids in the bedrooms and it works out just fine if you have good ground rules.

• Aimee says:

We always use Sherwin Williams paint because it covers SO WELL! This red room (ceiling and all) only took a coat of primer and two coats of paint! We recently used some runny paint on a project (left by previous owner) and were once again reminded why we love Sherwin Williams!

15. mary w. says:

I love to see a planked wall used as a highlight. Jackie from Teal and Lime has a gorgeous one in their family room. And you might think about a way to add a door to the new room for fire safety. I do love the idea of combining the bedroom and playroom in the bigger space. It will grow with them, too!

16. Angie Rice says:

Thanks for answering. Between the Ektorp chair and the Jennylund chair which do you prefer?

• Aimee says:

You’re welcome! Depend how much space you have! I would pick the Ektorp, but the Jennylund is good, too — just small, as in narrow! XO, Aimee

17. Alexis E. says:

New to your blog. I LOVE the new color on the playroom walls. It’s really pretty. I’ve seen plank walls done with used pallets which turned out great. Maybe something to check out on Pinterest. We never allowed a television either until we had four children and only one television. Even though we don’t have cable we do disagree on movies often. I see no problem with it as long as the children obey the rules, which it sounds like yours as well as ours do.

18. carissa says:

do it! you have to do the wood planked wall. soo amazing for that space. and the gray is a VAST improvement over that scarlet red. a whole room of it, yikes! great job!

19. Kathryn says:

I love planked wood! I’m glad your husband is such a great sport!