How I Organize My Family Calendar

January 15, 2014 by 14 Comments

There’s no way around it, life is busy!  Mix five busy lives together and it’s almost out of control.  I keep my iPhone calendar up-to-date for personal appointments, reminders, and an overall family diary.  I have a planning calendar for the blog as well.  Let me show you how I organize my family calendar.  Did you see this pic on instagram – I love setting up for a new year!

Family Calendar Tips @ItsOverflowing

The heart of the home is the kitchen – for most families, the Family Command Center needs to be where most ‘hanging out” happens.  Out of sight, out of mind.

Calendar Tips @ItsOverflowing

What Makes it Work:

• My family command center – Monthly Planner – is a wet/dry erase board that has re-positionable adhesive.  It doesn’t slip and slide and it doesn’t leave residue when removed!

• We all know life is fast paced – a couple months at a glance helps make an easy transition into the next month.

• A family is most efficient when everyone is an informed participant.  Write it all down on your calendar and display it where it will be seen by everyone.

• Use smudge proof multi-colored markers – a color for each person and black for events that apply to everyone.  It is so easy to apply, write, and erase.   Opt for wet-erase markers so what you write won’t get smudged.

• Keep the months rolling, when January is over — let it become April, but before erasing, take a picture of the month for posterity’s sake.

Another Idea:

My sister, April has a similar system.  Her calendar is a magnetic dry/wet erase monthly planner with cork board and is hung on the wall next to her fridge.  Beneath her multi-calendars she has an extra board for meal planning – Sunday thru Saturday magnets separate this planning board.

Calendar Tips 2 @ItsOverflowing

Check Out More ‘Get It Organized‘ Tips

Comments

14 Responses to “How I Organize My Family Calendar”
  1. ColleenB. says:

Looks great.
    ME; I just use a regular calendar and write down everyone’s birthday, anniversaries and important appointments on.
    Everyone has their own system hat works best for them
    ColleenB.
    Texas

2. keya says:

We could not survive without our family calendar, I think having kids drained what little memory I had… Ours lives at the side of the fridge too but with magnets and that’s where the problem lives – almost daily it slides down onto the counter. Adhesives would have been nice!

3. Christyn says:

I have a LARGE (24×36) Frame with glass that has a blank calendar outline behind the glass. I use WET erase (Vis a Vis) markers for the dates of the month- that way they can’t accidentally get ‘rubbed’ off by wrists and hands- and I use different color markers for each person in the house. The bottom of my calendar has a “future reminders” section where I note stuff coming up that can’t go on the current month.
    At the end of the month, I take a damp paper towel and wipe that month away (some months it feels GREAT to “wipe them away!!!”) and Get the new one started. I always ‘fill’ the calendar, so usually that means it goes a few days into the next month on the last week…gives me a little leeway to get it updated! :)
    I do need a good menu planning visual, so we’ll haev to see about that.

• Aimee says:

This cracked me up so much Christyn. I was at Target walking around and peeked down to see if there were any new comments — as I was loading wet erase markers into the cart I read your comment!!! I was tired of the smudges. I’m glad to know based on your experience that it’s the way to go!!! XO, Aimee

4. Bria says:

This is a cute idea and if it functions for your household thats great.
    But for ours, i tend to prefer to use a large desk size calendar so i can save each months page for future reference. At the end of the year when i get our next calendar i look over the past years pages to see what if anything needs to be carried over into the next year, and i list on a couple sheets of notebook paper a recap of the year, then i could throw the calendar away, if i was so inclined, but being the packrat that i am i end up filing them away. It is a good feeling to come across them sometimes and glance at what happened that year. I guess what i’m saying is that not only does our big calendar serve as a reminder of upcoming events, but also as a diary of past events.
    As for the magnets, you can buy strong magnets at Lowe’s or such to glue to the back of the calendar, then just rip them off cardboard and all and glue to the next years calendar, been using same magnets on ours for 13 years.

Even though i’ve always admired ppl’s WriteOn/WipeOff boards, I would also
    be afraid a shoulder walking by too close or a mischevious person would erase something crucial on there.

BTW, you have a very beautiful blog, i hope you don’t mind if i Pin it to one of my Pinterest boards FAVE BLOGS.

• Aimee says:

Thanks so much Bria! I’m totally touched! You have some GREAT ideas! I, too like to keep my dates – but I store them by taking a pic of each month before erasing the board. And as a back up, I keep important dates on my computer calendar and phone. I’m so glad we’ve both found ways to keep life a bit more organized!!! :)

XO, Aimee

5. Petra says:

Very organised :-) I’ve decided this year to do a “diary” instead of a calendar (first time ever)! I can carry it around in my handbag so I’ll see how it goes. Only have one kiddie so probably it’s a viable option – we’ll see :-D

6. I need you to come and organize me!!! Please!!!!!

7. Kelly says:

I just brought home one of the large desk/blotter calendars and have the perfect section of wall to hang it on in our hallway. I keep everything in my Outlook calendar, but this way everyone else can see what is going on as well. Well, they will once I actually hang it up!

8. Aimee says:

That’s SO EXCITING to me Kelly! And I know everyone will LOVE getting to see what’s coming up on the schedule, too!!! XO, Aimee