There’s no way around it, life is busy! Mix five busy lives together and it’s almost out of control. I keep my iPhone calendar up-to-date for personal appointments, reminders, and an overall family diary. I have a planning calendar for the blog as well. Let me show you how I organize my family calendar. Did you see this pic on instagram – I love setting up for a new year!
The heart of the home is the kitchen – for most families, the Family Command Center needs to be where most ‘hanging out” happens. Out of sight, out of mind.
What Makes it Work:
• My family command center – Monthly Planner – is a wet/dry erase board that has re-positionable adhesive. It doesn’t slip and slide and it doesn’t leave residue when removed!
• We all know life is fast paced – a couple months at a glance helps make an easy transition into the next month.
• A family is most efficient when everyone is an informed participant. Write it all down on your calendar and display it where it will be seen by everyone.
• Use smudge proof multi-colored markers – a color for each person and black for events that apply to everyone. It is so easy to apply, write, and erase. Opt for wet-erase markers so what you write won’t get smudged.
• Keep the months rolling, when January is over — let it become April, but before erasing, take a picture of the month for posterity’s sake.
My sister, April has a similar system. Her calendar is a magnetic dry/wet erase monthly planner with cork board and is hung on the wall next to her fridge. Beneath her multi-calendars she has an extra board for meal planning – Sunday thru Saturday magnets separate this planning board.