My New TV Console

January 22, 2014 by 28 Comments

The other day I gave you a sneak peek of my plan for the family room.  A little ‘Robin Hood’ action – take from the rich and give to the poor!  My master bedroom was overloaded with furniture and this room was bare!  While Stud was at work I went to work myself, dragging this dresser into the family room (more here).  I shared some beautiful TV consoles and built ins (here), but as I look at the overall needs of my house, the kitchen is my top priority right now and spending a couple thousand here and a couple thousand there would totally dwindle away my kitchen fund quickly!

TV Console @ItsOverflowing

I love it when I can be patient and a solution finally clicks within!  (Patience doesn’t come natural for me).  Having the living room look like this shortly after moving in — my wheels were constantly spinning.  I can’t chill when harmony is totally lacking!

Need a New TV Console @ItsOverflowing

Then I remembered a house tour I shared — from back when we were still house shopping — in that house, my exact same master bedroom dresser base (Gramercy Park by Lane) was being used as a hutch.  If it worked as a hutch in another house, why not use it for a console in my family room?!!

TV Media Console @ItsOverflowing 3

Ordering a rug from Potterybarn helped the room feel like a more liveable space — having it majorly on sale and using additional coupons helped, too (here).  When I added the new console – 72″ w x 22″ d x 39″ h,  I rotated the rug and long sofa to work with the length of the room.

TV Media Console @ItsOverflowing 3

I watched my first movie all the way through since moving into the house — finally able to focus on the show and not be distracted by the entry table being completely the wrong scale!!!

TV Media Console @ItsOverflowing 4

Did you notice I hung my DIY Frame Tutorial?!  I love how easy it is to switch out the pictures!  It’s finally starting to feel more like home!!!  I’ll share more soon sweet friends!  One big question I have weighing is paint the brick or not!?!  Opinions!?!?

TV Console @ItsOverflowing

If you haven’t seen my new house and the updates, check out old and new updates (here).

Linking up at: Savvy Southern Style, Between Naps on the Porch

Comments

28 Responses to “My New TV Console”
  1. Diana says:

Looks good in there Aimee, so much better than the white one.

2. looks great and is in much better scale with the rest of your furniture…I vote to paint the brick!

• Aimee says:

Thanks for your vote Cheryl!!! I was looking back through the pics, I need to give you more pics before I ask for a vote. LOL. Soon, promise! XO, Aimee

3. Paint the brick! You will be so happy you did, I guarantee it.

• Aimee says:

Thanks Judy! I did at my last house because the brick color was PINK – and not a pretty shade. The tones in this brick are so much prettier!?! I do love me some white bricks though!! Decisions Decisions!!! XO, Aimee

4. Kelly says:

The dresser works perfectly as a TV console, the scale is perfect now!

5. Very nice, it works so good with the rest of the space

• Aimee says:

Thanks Lisa! One thing leads to the next — I have so many more ideas!!! Now I just need time to get them done! Thanks for your sweet note! XO, Aimee

6. Juju says:

Aimee, I love the “new” TV console…it just WORKS! I always say, shop your own house first, before you spend good money on something else. In our last house, I used a bench on top of the hearth for our TV (at the time we didn’t have the $$$ to spend on a wall mount for it).

I also really like the soft gray(?) paint on the walls with the white trim. Very soothing, and classic-looking…makes the room appear larger but not cave-like.

Yes, I would paint your brick! (I wanted to to this in our Idaho house, but we sold it too soon! lol) We’ve had 1 house with white brick and 2 with reddish brick, and I prefer white, personally. When it got dirty looking, I just cleaned it and applied a fresh touch up of white paint!

We are loving living in Hawaii, but I wish I could have completed a few more projects we had in mind for that house in Idaho. Also, I didn’t have much time to enjoy our kitchen cabinet makeover!

If you are visiting Oahu anytime, send me an email on my blog, and maybe we can meet up for a Chai Latte!

• Aimee says:

My little friend in Hawaii — You always make me smile!!! The kitchen makeover was fabulous, I agree not enough time for you to enjoy it, but it’s such a good feeling to know you made something dreary turn out so pretty!!! I’m leaning towards the white paint — and tossing around a few other ideas, too!!! But you know me, the kitchen is a huge impact and has to stay top on my list!!! :) As for a Chai Latte in Oahu, um YES PLEASE! We hope to chill on the beach in Hawaii one of these days — you’ll have to give us all the insiders scoop when we do!!! XO, Aimee

7. Tammy says:

I have used an old dresser bottom for a tv stand a few years back. Loved it. Got the idea from the way Monica’s living room was in Friends. Looks great.

• Aimee says:

Oh my gosh, I feel totally stylish now! If it’s good enough for Monica than it’s definitely good enough for me!!! Thanks Tammy!!! Smiling a little bigger now as I admire my dresser turned tv stand!!! XO, Aimee

8. Suzi says:

PERFECT! So neat when we realize it was there all along. Personally, I am fond of the warm terra cotta color of a brick fireplace if it isn’t too orangey. I’d wait till you get more textiles in the area and make kitchen decisions simply because you can’t un-paint it.

• Aimee says:

Isn’t that the funniest Suzi – when it’s been there all along!! It definitely isn’t too orangey! I ordered some cushion covers and they should be here before long I’ll have to show you and see what you think. Another pic of the fireplace may be helpful, too! :) As for the kitchen, so true — when it is white and not competing in tones it may work better!!! Thanks for your input! XO, Aimee

9. Sharon V says:

The after looks great. What an impact the dresser makes in the room!

• Aimee says:

Thanks Sharon!!! It made even more of an impact than I anticipated! I ordered my cushion covers for my pillows and can’t wait to get those in the room and share them with you, too!!! XO, Aimee

10. Petra says:

Well done – it looks so much better :-) It does look a little chocolate in there tho’ (nothing wrong with chocolate!) so I would paint the brick :-D

• Aimee says:

Tight squeeze from me to you Petra!!! Thanks for your sweet note! Much better, I totally agree! Yes, there is a lot of chocolate going on in the room. I’m still floating around ideas on the coffee table and end tables!!! I’ll show you another pic of the room with the fireplace in better view and weigh your thoughts once more. :) Thanks for stopping by sweet friend! XO, Aimee