DIY Easter Decorations

March 25, 2014 by 20 Comments

My mom spent a good portion of the last several months a couple states away, helping my sister and her hubby that is fighting brain cancer.  A couple days ago, on her birthday, mom became very ill.  I quickly jumped on a plane and made it in time to say goodbye before she passed.  As my little girl put it so eloquently, ‘she got the best birthday present anyone could ever ask for, she is with Jesus now and I know she’s so happy, but that doesn’t make my heart not hurt…or the tears go away.’  This is one of the hardest seasons I’ve ever walked through and it’s still a long road ahead before we’re out of the thick of it, but it’s comforting to know that God knew ahead of time that this beautiful cross would be so perfect for me to share today!!!    I am so blessed by my friend Ashley for sharing it with us — she blogs at Cherished Bliss where she shares amazing DIY Projects, Crafts, and delicious Recipes.  God has been so so so sweet to me during this deep suffering — so incredibly sweet!!!  Thanks again Ashley for sharing your awesome DIY Easter Decorations.

Easter Decorations - 9

Spring is officially here, and Easter is just around the corner,however this new Cross will have a home in my house long after Easter. I am having a serious crush on Moss right now! I just recently shared my Moss Covered Easter Eggs, and hopefully soon I’ll have a new Moss Wreath!   This cross is seriously so easy to make, and you can paint/stain it however you want! I’ll share with you how I did it, but you can change it up to add your own style.

Supplies:

Wooden Cross from Hobby Lobby
– Moss Tape
– My DIY Wood Stain
– Zinsser Clear Shellac
– White Acrylic Paint
– Paint Brush
– Foam Brushes (for stain and shellac)
– Fine Grit Sandpaper

Easter Decorations - 3

How to Make a Moss Covered Wooden Cross

First thing is if you plan on using my DIY Wood Stain (tutorial), you are going to want to make this first because it really needs to sit for a few days before you can use it.

So now you are going to stain your cross. With my wood stain I did 3 thin coats, if you are using store bought you probably only need one. Then I applied a layer of shellac. Again, if you aren’t using my wood stain, this probably isn’t necessary. The DIY Wood Stain dries in a very flat/chalky look, and once you apply a sealer it gets that “stain” look to it.

Easter Decorations - 4
Once that is dry, I used my paint and paint brush to dry brush the white paint onto the cross. One that was dry I sanded/distressed the cross and then applied another layer of shellac.

Easter Decorations - 5

Now it’s time to add the moss. Simply measure the part of the cross you are covering with moss and cut it to that size. I did one long pieces for the length and two short pieces for the sides.

Easter Decorations - 6

Now just insert your moss into the cross. I didn’t even have to glue mine down, it just sticks right in there very nicely. If yours wants to fall out, just add a little hot glue and you will be good to go!

Easter Decorations - 7

I hope you enjoyed this little tutorial, and it inspired you to create something for this wonderful season where we can celebrate what Christ did for us!!  Do you have any great moss projects? I’d love to see them!  Have a Beautiful Day!

Easter Decorations - 8

Let’s Connect:
Facebook // Twitter // Pinterest // Google +

You can find my Moss Covered Easter Eggs Here

Easter Decorations - 2
Welcome Spring with these adorable Moss Covered Easter Eggs

And if you are looking for some more Easter Decor

Download these Easter Printables

Easter Decorations - 1

More Fun Craft Ideas

Linking up at: Savvy Southern Style, Between Naps on the Porch

Comments

20 Responses to “DIY Easter Decorations”
  1. Teresa says:

So sorry for you loss. Thank you for your free printables and fun DIY ideas. I “liked” Cherished Bliss and look forward to following her.

2. Aimee,

My heart breaks for you and your family…hugs from a far!

~Sarah

3. Jane B says:

Aimee, I’m so sorry to hear of your Mom’s passing and yet I’m so glad you were able to make your way to her to say your good-byes. Saying a prayer for you and your family.

4. my prayers are with you, and your entire family right now and in days, weeks and years ahead. hugs laura

5. So sorry about your mother. That had to be hard. (((((HUGS))))
    Wonderful moss ideas. I just bought a package of moss the other day. I wish I had seen the crosses while I was at HL. Just an excuse to go there again, don’t you think?

6. Kim R says:

I’m so sorry for the loss of your Mom. Prayers for you and your family.

7. Oh Aimee. I am so sorry for your loss. I know your heart is broken. I hope that time will make it easier to bear.

8. Peggy Thal says:

So very sorry for your loss. Prayers for you and your family. The cross is so beautiful in memory of your mom.

9. Debra says:

So sorry to hear of your mom’s passing. It was great that you flew to go see her!

10. Diana says:

Aimee, I am sorry to hear about your loss, but I’m happy you got there in time to say goodbye. Sending you a big hug!

11. Aimee, I am so sorry for the earthly loss of your precious Mom! I really have no words… but want I want to do is bring you God’s comfort and peace and give you a shoulder to cry on! I stopped before I wrote this response to pray for you and your family! May you feel an extra helping of God’s love for you. xo

12. Babette says:

Aimee, I have been following your blog for awhile now and have been thinking of your family. My heart breaks for you as your mom has passed. I know that you are hanging on to the loving arms of our God, only He can give you His loving peace and comfort. I will be praying for your family as you go through these difficult times. God bless you all!

13. Sharon V says:

My condolences on your loss.

14. LindaSonia says:

Oh so very sorry for your loss. You and yours will be in my prayers.

15. Kathy says:

So sorry for your loss. There is nothing like the pain of losing your Mother. Praying that God’s tender mercy will carry you through.

16. Meegan says:

I have been thinking and praying for you. My heart is with you. Don’t rush the healing process. It all takes time. It’s okay to cry, it’s okay to hurt. God knows your heart is broken. He will heal and give you peace now and in the coming days. I know this for a fact.
    Let me know if there is any thing I can do for you.
    Love you, sweet friend.

17. Vanessa says:

Aimee you have been on my mind and in my prayers ever since I heard about the loss of your precious mom. I truly have no words but just want you to know that we are holding up all of you in prayer to the ONE who meets us when we are in that of pain and sorrow!
    Love, Vanessa

18. Heidi says:

I’m so sorry about your mom. I’m sure your deep faith and friends and family will sustain you in the days and months ahead.

19. JL says:

While I dont know you other than your great blog, I want to express my sympathy and let you know Jesus is carrying you through this time of sorrow-praise God death on earth is LIFE beautiful and complete in Heaven for those who claim Him as Lord!! “Oh what a day it will be” when you are reunited with your sweet mama! Praying for you and your family, JL

20. Moly says:

Aimee, I m so sorry for your loss. The reaionship between a Mother an daughter is so special. My heart hurts for you and I pray that in time you will find peace and your pain will lessen. May God bless you, and your family.