How to Make Terra Cotta Pots Chippy

April 7, 2014 by 14 Comments

Today, we have another great craft in our series, A Craft Made By You.   Lucy from the beautiful blog, Craftberry Bush, where creativity is always in bloom is sharing a tutorial with us that I can’t wait to try –

How to make terra cotta pots chippy and perfectly imperfect!

It has been a long winter, hasn’t it?
It always makes me feel better to be bring
a little color into our home with pretty blooms.

I love how tulips, daffodils and Hyacinths look in old chippy terracotta pots.

A couple of weeks ago, I shared our Spring mantel over at my
blog and a few folks asked how I made my terracotta pots chippy
and imperfectly perfect.  So today, I thought I would share how to
age terracotta pots and the various methods I use to do so.

There are various ways to age pots, but
these are the methods I use that work for me.

1. Paint a thick layer towards the top of the pot and with a dry brush technique, spread the rest of the paint around the pot.

2. With a moist paper towel, remove some of the paint and allow pot to dry.

3. Paint another thick layer of paint.

4. Before the paint completely dries (and is tacky to the touch), rub the paint off with your fingers.  The paint should come off, leaving a chippy look to the pot.

5. With a wet paper towel, gently wipe off all the paint from the areas where you removed the paint (optional).

1. Paint pot with watered down white paint and while still wet, spread it with the palm of your hand.

1. Similar to method 1, paint a thick layer of paint over the top area of pot and allow to dry.

2. Using various shades of green, stipple paint over pot. This will create the look of moos.

3. While paint is still drying, rub it off with your fingers and repeat steps 1 and 2 (if needed) until you achieve an old mossy look.

Old mossy, chippy terracotta pots…how fun and how perfect  for your garden.

I can’t wait to get outside and start gardening…

…but in the mean time, these little guys also make perfect
indoor pots for herbs.  I made this little herb caddy and the
tags a couple of years ago. You can read about here.
Thank you so much for reading today…I hope
to see you again soon over at Craftberry Bush.
much love,
You can also keep up with me via the following.
I would love to see you there.
FacebookPinterestInstagramGoogle+Subscribe

More Fun Craft Ideas

Comments

14 Responses to “How to Make Terra Cotta Pots Chippy”
  1. Linda says:

Love your mantel!! WOW!!!
    The terra cotta pots look so much prettier painted….

2. Wonderful tutorial and inspiration for fancying up plain terra cotta pots! Love your vignette!

~ Ashley

3. Lucy says:

4. Lucy is so creative, I love her blog…..thanks for sharing Aimee!

5. Great tutorial and your mantel looks fabulous. Be sure to link up to my Inspire Me party that goes lives this afternoon at 3:00 PM. http://www.astrollthrulife.net. Hope to see you three. Hugs, Marty

6. I love your techniques here. These pots are so beautiful and perfect :)

7. Lucy your Spring vignette is so pretty! Thanks for sharing three different ways we can achieve the look of your pretty terra cotta pots. I think I’m going to make a few of these and put them on a pretty tray on my dining room table for Easter dinner – thanks for the inspiration! Glad I found them at the Metamorphosis Monday Party and I’m definitely pinning them.

8. Hi Aimee,
    thanks for sharing these great ideas. I love the wabi-sabi look to the terracotta pots and can’t wait to paint some :)

9. Jo-Anne says:

Wow what a great idea and thanks for sharing the how to

10. Such charming terracotta pots and beautiful photos, Lucy! Thank you for the tutorial, I can hardly wait to make some for my deck.

11. I just love these! I’d love to give it a try. Thanks for the tutorial! Pinning!

12. Mindy says:

Great tutorial and lovely display of pots and blooms!

13. Karly says:

I LOVE this, Aimee! In fact, I think I need to do this to some pots, right now, ha ha ha! I’d love to have you link this up with me for the Create & Share DIY and Recipe Party, this would make an awesome addition!

-Karly

14. Deborah says:

These look great! Love the old chippy look. Happy Easter!
    Blessings, Deborah