Planting My Favorite Veggie

May 14, 2014 by 13 Comments

Artichokes are my favorite vegetable.  I love most veggies, but what sets artichokes above the rest is they force us to slow down, savor, and enjoy time around the table — a rarity today!  Growing up some of my favorite memories around the table were when mom served artichokes as an appetizer.

Growing Artichokes in Texas @ItsOverflowing

Each of us would have our own and as we chatted about life’s happenings, we’d dip the petal bottom in a butter sauce and rake it over our teeth to dislodge the meaty pulp at the base.  Mom would line a bowl with a grocery sack for easy tossing of the unused portion of each petal.  It was more than a vegetable, it was an experience.

Growing Artichokes in Texas @ItsOverflowing 2

About six weeks ago, my mom passed away suddenly.  We had visited several nurseries looking for plants for my new house the last time we hung out.

Growing Artichokes in Texas @ItsOverflowing 3

Today, as I was scouting for a place to buy an artichoke plant in her honor.  After calling tons of nurseries, Blooming Colors in Grapevine actually had artichoke plants!!!  It didn’t choke me up until the same lady helped me that had helped mom and I, a couple months prior.  I made my purchase then got into the car and balled like a baby.  I wanted to call my mom and tell her that I was planting these because it was a special memory.  I wanted to tell her that it was so cool having that same sweet lady help me.  I wanted to tell her I was excited for her next visit so I could show them off!

back_of_nursery

I shed more tears over the loss of my sweet mom today.  The tears were more than just sadness — they were also tears of thankfulness for that precious memory.  More and more I am seeing how important it is to keep living to the fullest because at some point we will leave this earth and one of the greatest gifts you can leave a loved ones is sweet footprints to look back on and feel the tenderness of your love.   — Psalm 39:4

artif3_zoom

My sister lives in the Dallas area (like, me) and has been growing an artichoke plant for several years now.  Hers is HUGE and is very healthy.  Tomorrow I will be Planting My Favorite Veggie and before long enjoying artichokes fresh from my garden with my kids (who love artichokes, too).  It’s fun to carry on mom’s legacy until one day when we are together again in heaven!

Comments

13 Responses to “Planting My Favorite Veggie”
  1. cassie says:

what a sweet post. hugs to you.

2. what a heartfelt post-i’m so sorry for your loss. it is the little things that can bring you to tears, i know. what a wonderful way to honor her and have something that was special in such an organic way.

my dad passed away 3 years ago, and he loved bulldogs, his house was full of figurines. now i have a few in different spots in my home, and it’s my way of having him there with me, if that makes sense.

• Aimee says:

I’m so sorry for your loss sweet friend! And yes, that makes perfect sense — I’m learning that the little hole in the heart from our loved ones leaving this earth is never filled by anything or anyone else — nor would you want it to be! I’m going to think of you and your dad every time I see a bulldog — very sweet! Having a little part of them near is important! XO, Aimee

3. Sandra says:

I pray that the sweet memories you hold will always be a comfort to you.

4. Diana says:

Aimee my heart breaks for you. It is the small things that matter so much in our memories. My beloved Grandmother has been gone 40 years and I still hear her telling me things in my head. These memories never fade.

5. My heart hurts for you. Your story is much like mine. My mom’s been gone for 7 yrs now though.

I’ve never thought to grow an artichoke plant. Now I can’t wait to find one!

• Aimee says:

I’m so sorry for your loss Jamie — pretty sure at 7 years I will still miss my mom tons!!! Happy hunting for an artichoke plant sweet friend!!! XO, Aimee

6. Deborah says:

What a precious post :) I’m so glad to read your mom knew Jesus and that you do as well… such a comfort and a blessing. What a reunion you’ll have one day!
    We’re in the Dallas area as well. I’d like to plant artichokes. I’m anxious to see how well your plants grow.
    I’ll be praying for you and your family.

• Aimee says:

Thank you so much Deborah!!! I’ll post an update so you can see the progress — thankful my sister has one so she can show me the ropes! XO, Aimee

7. Aimee, I’m happy for you that you found the plant that brings back sweet memories of time spent with your mom. I know this plant will thrive in your beautiful yard too!! xx

8. What a wonderful memory and tribute to your mom. So many of my plants remind me of friends and family, here and above, too. Good luck with your artichoke–I’m sure your mom will be cheering you on!

9. hi there! I would love to have you post this sentimental garden memory over here at Fishtail Cottage’s party this week! xoox, tracie