Kitchen – Our Big Mess

July 28, 2014 by 15 Comments

On Thursday, I typed up my weekly house tour and set it to go live the next morning — then rushed to care for a BIG Mess!  A little back history, the last few months have been heartbreaking and tough for me, so Stud wanted this week (with our Littles at Gigi and Pa camp) to be fun!  He couldn’t think of a sweeter way to say I love you then moving forward with the kitchen!  I’ve been planning it for a year (lots of the planning was done with my mom before her passing).  I’ve drawn the plans, printed inspiration pics, talked with countless engineers, cabinet workers, and plumbers. Stud felt good about a particular contractor — based on a friends recommendation among other things.  He asked him to do the job and gave him a down sizable down payment!  Do you see where this is going!?!?  You saw the title of this post, right?!  Kitchen – Our Big Mess

Gutting Kitchen @ItsOverflowing 2

Several deadlines were missed, but we know contractors over-commit themselves so we tried to stay calm.  Thursday they showed up and told us the cabinets were almost finished.  As instructed by the main contractor, the kitchen was GUTTED — we are now officially air conditioning the attic.

Gutting Kitchen @ItsOverflowing 3

All that mess, but the wall that needs to be completely torn down is still in tact and not a bit of the electrical or plumbing has been touched.  They left abruptly and as they were leaving the head guy let us know he was going to need more money for this project.  What!?!  We don’t have MORE for this project.  Friday they didn’t show up to finish the demo.  Saturday they didn’t show up.  Our last communication, ‘we need more money’ then a lull that has us speculating lots of scenarios.

Gutting Kitchen @ItsOverflowing 2

At this point, we’re waiting and praying and trying not to be too surprised because we’ve heard this same story countless times before from friends and family, each with a different outcome — our ending is still unwritten!  This whole situation is a major bummer.  And to add insult to injury, the kitchen being open to the attic and the a/c is running non-stop stinks.  Got to love a Texas Summer with temps hanging out around the 100 degree mark!

Lemons Quote @ItsOverflowing Blog

Lemons Quote (here) – 8×10.

As tempting as it is to be consumed by this and live the next however many weeks or months with my stomach in knots.  I’m trying to be thankful for the end result and the little joys along the way — like having a sink in the laundry room where I’ve set up a makeshift kitchen and have become rather proficient with it so far!  ‘You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you.’ — Isaiah 26:3.  I will update you throughout this process, but for now say a prayer we can reach a fair compromise — like maybe be true to the original contract!?!

Previous Updates on Our Traditional Home

Linking up atSavvy Southern StyleBetween Naps on the Porch

Comments

15 Responses to “Kitchen – Our Big Mess”
  1. LAURA says:

Aimee- Hang in there! Thanks for sharing!laura

2. Everything will work out, excited to see your kitchen reno!!!

3. Tara says:

So sorry to hear about your dilemma. You have been through so much this year. Praying that all will be reconciled soon and you will have your beautiful new kitchen.

4. Diana says:

You have been really tested this year Aimee, so keep the faith things will get better soon. Hugs!

5. Linda says:

Refer the contractor to the contract they signed! If they won’t do the work for the agreed price they need to refund your deposit.

6. Oh Aimee. So not what you needed, and I am sure hubby is not loving that he suggested this particular contractor. But, I know he was going by word of mouth. We had several friends use the same contractor and do a great job, and then on the last two…no show after demoing!! Hang in there.

7. Lydia Wagner says:

Oh my goodness, Aimee!! I’m just praying you catch a break. I can envision you telling me this story with bright eyes and saying, “I am so mad!” while you are smiling and laughing! haha! If you need a shopping break, you know who to call!! Come visit me!!

8. valarie says:

Well Aimee, it looks like while you’re building character in your home the Lord will use this time to build character in your family! blessings!

9. Jo-Anne says:

Oh my I am so sorry to hear about your mess, I hope things go better soon for you

10. Sally says:

Hang in there! I so feel your pain…we just finished our kitchen remodel after 7 months. Our contractor started our addition and finished the outside and then told my husband that his Dad (his boss) said our job wasn’t big enough and to kill the job! We were left with a completely gutted kitchen! He is our neighbor and felt bad, so we got moved to nights and weekends & my husband helped do a lot of it. It did turn out beautiful in the end and was worth the stress and tears. I hope It moves a long quickly for you!! It is not fun!!
    Sally

11. Praying for a great outcome Aimee.

12. Erica says:

Oh no! You hear of horror stories all the time but hope they never happen to you. I hope all works out and your kitchen gets done! Sending good thoughts your way!

13. CD Loken says:

Wishing you much luck and sending prayers that it all turns out! I can’t wait to see the reveal! :)

14. Oh my gosh – this is like Deja Vu Aimee !
    I wished my husband was a contractor at least once a day when all of ours was going on!
    It’ll all work out – it always does – but it’s extremely stressful!
    I did the dishes in the bathroom for a month ( not to scare you lol )
    XOXO