Kitchen Cabinets Installed

August 20, 2014 by 18 Comments

The island was the first piece placed in the kitchen.  When the plumbing and electrical were complete, the rest of the Kitchen Cabinets were installed.  Each of the tall cabinets on either side of the fridge are solid pieces.  They were total beasts to bring into the house.  I had laid awake several nights hoping that my design and measuring had been accurate (yes, we went with affordable which meant I did a lot of the legwork).

Cabinets Around Fridge @ItsOverflowing

Still all wrapped in plastic.

Inset Kitchen Cabinets 2 @ItsOverflowing

Here is the wall where my range will be installed — I can’t wait!

Inset Kitchen Cabinets @ItsOverflowing

The hood does not have the right trim — small details that can be adjusted when they review my drawing.

Inset Kitchen Cabinets 3 @ItsOverflowing

Another peek at the kitchen finally coming together.

Inset Kitchen Cabinets 4 @ItsOverflowing

View from the dining room.  Just a few weeks ago I wouldn’t have been able to see all the way into the family room because of the angled wall.

Open Kitchen @ItsOverflowing

My cute little middle schooler and one of her BFFs.

Kitchen Remodel @ItsOverflowing

And Berkeley!

She HATES loud noises and strangers — this kitchen remodel almost did her in!

Kitchen Remodel 2 @ItsOverflowing

So this was the week that Stud was out of town and every decision that was made had to be run by me.  I totally hate rocking the boat, but as I went to bed late one night, I was reminded that earlier in the day one of my sisters had asked me if the island was centered quite right!?!  The kitchen was wrapped in plastic and I assumed the guys had laid it out right so my answer was yes.  Laying in bed I thought, they’re about to complete the island and there’s going to be no moving it at that point.  I jumped out of bed ran around tearing plastic off of the ceiling and began inspecting the placement of the island — totally too far to the left.  And the cabinets with the range — a couple inches too low.

Inset Kitchen Cabinets 5 @ItsOverflowing

I freaked out because something was not quite right with these guys.  I knew they were going to be hacked off if I had the slightest bit of adjustments that needed to be made.  So what does a girl do when her man is out of town and she totally needs back up!?!  Text her BFF, right!  And when you text your BFF at 7:40 in the morning asking her to come right now (she lives 40 minutes away), what does a BFF do?!!  Get in the car and go — I am so incredibly thankful for your sweet friend!  Now that I’ve reread my text, I’m not sure it really even make sense.  LOL.

Text Message Between Friends @ItsOverflowing

And here’s Kristen and I working as a team to compliment and request a couple minor changes.  We measured and measured again and decided the cabinet with the range needed to be raised two inches and the island scooted to the right five inches!  We’re in the details!!!  And while we worked, our little girls had a blast catching up!

Every girl needs a BFF.

So much better, I can hardly stand it!!!

Inset Kitchen Cabinets 6 @ItsOverflowing

And then we got to work discussing the stone overhang!  What’s your opinion?  How much overhang do you prefer on a counter-height countertop!?!

Large Kitchen Island @ItsOverflowing

Can you believe this is the same kitchen?  It makes the room seem so much bigger and looking out these windows from the kitchen is such a treat!

Adding a Large Kitchen Island @ItsOverflowing

And once set, the temporary side boards were removed and one continuous board was installed on either side of the island.

Making a Large Kitchen Island @ItsOverflowing

Baby steps for sure!!!!

Creating Our Dream Kitchen.

Linking up atSavvy Southern StyleBetween Naps on the Porch

Comments

18 Responses to “Kitchen Cabinets Installed”
  1. Diana says:

Things are looking good Aimee. I was having a problem seeing it before, but now I see and it is great. I can’t wait to see the rest of it, hopefully it will be drama free for you.

2. Oh, Aimee…what a difference the remodel is making – stunning!

3. Terri says:

What color are your walls they look a light gray? I just remodel my kitchen with white cabinets & looking for a gray paint.Thanks

4. erin says:

amazing!!! and details are IMPORTANT! otherwise you’ll kicking yourself in the booty!

5. Sharon says:

What a wonderful friend!! Your kitchen is going to be amazing. I can’t wait to see the details!

6. Nancy says:

Amazing! It is coming together….love it.
    Nancy
    wildoakdesigns.blogspot.com

7. Your kitchen is going to be a dream. I love it and isn’t it fabulous to have BFF’s that can come help.

8. Mary Jane says:

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!! And you have to live with it, so it needs to be right. What a difference removing that wall made. Good eye for design!

9. pamela murphy says:

Loving you new kitchen… it’s going to be a dream!!

10. I love all of the storage/cabinet space around your fridge!! It is really coming together nicely.

11. Wow! This kitchen is looking amazing! I love the style of the cabinet doors and the decorative cabinet base / toe kick. Gorgeous! :D

12. Juju says:

Aimee ~

I am so excited watching you get your dream kitchen. You and your family deserve it!
    Virtual hugs to your BFF Kristen for being there for you…friends are so great!
    I love the cabinetry surrounding your beautiful new refrigerator and the decorative “feet” on your lower cabinets. Can’t wait to see what the trim on the hood will look like, too.

My Hubs and I are already praying about our next relocation, and hoping we can find our “forever home”.

Blessings~ Juju

• Aimee says:

Thank you so much Juju!!! Any chance your “forever home” will be Texas!?! I know it doesn’t compare with the beauty you have in your backyard right now, but the people are sweet! ;) XO, Aimee

13. Looks great and great progress! Love the changes!
    KC

14. It is really hard to stand up for yourself with tradesman sometimes. You wonder if you can live with it or not. But anything that takes a little of the “dream” out of the “dream kitchen” just has to be sorted out before it’s too late. Congratulations on getting it all sorted now your dream is all shiny again!

15. Cindy says:

I love your new kitchen. It looks like a totally different room.I love designing new kitchens. We remodeled the kitchen in one of our church parsonages a couple of years ago, and I got to design the whole thing. I was in heaven.

16. Ericka says:

Wow! Your kitchen seems so much bigger and brighter already! I love how open it is now!!

17. Cheree says:

Stone over-hang: My cabinet guy told me this one…and, of course, I don’t remember at the moment (and I’m not as far along as you) but the important thing is to protect your new cabinets from spills. I’m thinking a minimum 1.5″, maybe more? (that’s not really helpful now, is it??) Certainly the company/installer can help with that decision?