DIY Vintage Spool Thread Holder

August 6, 2012 by 34 Comments

It’s not a secret that I love a good thrift store find!  On the worst day of my life (maybe that’s a little dramatic, but it was bad), my sweet hubby made my day by surprising me with stopping at what has forever since been marked as the very best antique store EVER, Antique Tobacco Barn.  You can click over to that link and see all the pics, but for a quick refresher, here’s some of the fabulous treasures I walked away with on that day that quickly became one of my favorite vacation memories!

I fell in love with these wooden spools instantly and the entire lot was only $3, how could I resist!?!  Of course, when I go home I was faced with the million dollar question: What do I do with these vintage spools!?  I needed a Thread Holder, one equally cute to my fun new spools!  My solution…

…came through my sweet mother-in-law.  As if she were reading my mind, she called from a thrift store with a golf ball holder in hand.  It wasn’t quite the looker yet, but the shape was definitely right!

Removing the back of this was a total beat down.  I tried with a screw driver, with plyers…

but, to no avail UNTIL, I pulled out a Mini Pry Bar.  I have a new love for this sweet little tool.  Anything that can pull out staples in effort to scratch golf green turf fabric from my home decor is a friend of mine.

I replaced the golf green turf fabric with some drop cloth fabric that I had laying around.  That one drop cloth has stretched far: Covering a Mat in an Ugly Frame, Sewing a Super Long Table Runner….

With a little white paint and replaced fabric, I secured the backing in place with another one of my bestie tools, my staple gun.  Do you have one of these!?  I’m always amazed by how inexpensive some of the best hand tools are, the staple gun for one!

I love being able to recycle other people’s junk into my own treasures!  Anything with white paint, burlap, and that’s vintage is the perfect eye candy for this girl!  What about you…what treasures have you found lately?!  You can always find my thrifty finds and thrifty find updates here!

Comments

34 Responses to “DIY Vintage Spool Thread Holder”
  1. kara says:

What a clever idea!

2. Very creative and adorable! Who other than you would of thought of a golf ball holder. So glad you shared your creative inspiration with Sunday’s Best – your creativity helped make the party a success!

3. Donna Wilkes says:

Love this cabinet. i was hoping when I saw those spools on your finds post that you would display them in some way. How creative not just to stick them in a jar! (That’s what I do!)

4. Sherry says:

Smart idea! thread never looked so good.
    Sherry

5. Libby says:

This is a very neat idea. Love the clean display of the spools of thread!

6. What a great way to repurpose that golf ball shelf…it turned out really cute (oh how I love vintage spools!). And thank you for the tip on the pry tool. I’ve been looking for something like that to remove some stubborn staples. Have a great week!

7. Bethany says:

Very cute! Great job! :)

8. Sherry says:

What a cute and creative way to display the spools. Love it!

9. Dawn says:

simply BRILLIANT!! Love it! :) so very shabby chic!

10. It’s gorgeous! What a transformation!

11. micupoftea says:

What fun! Great idea…MIL to the rescue! Enjoy the week ahead :)

12. How smart…and super thrifty! Nice job!!

13. rose says:

so cute and creative! I need some vintage spools now!

14. Emily says:

Brilliant Idea, both of you. And I think I need a mini pry bar now. How cute is that?

15. Oh wow, a mini pry bar huh?! Yes I think I might just need one of those! What a cute find and what a cute up-cycle! :) Good job friend!
    Jaime

16. Vanessa says:

That is absolutely fantastic Aimee!! The colors of the thread are just gorgeous and totally pop against the holder. Well done! :-)
    Vanessa

17. Hi! I just popped in to say I love this so much…Great idea :) Have a lovely week.

Lina
    Fancy Frugal Life

18. emily says:

such a cute idea!!! Just wanted to invite you to join my Tasteful Tuesday Party. I have been hosting a recipe party (pretty successfully!!!) for over a year now, and this week we are opening up for crafts, DIY and home decor. Hope you can come by and check it out! http://www.nap-timecreations.com/2012/08/fresh-pesto-pasta-salad-and-tasteful.html

19. Megan says:

Awesome! The display is just so pretty. Megan

20. stephanie says:

love this idea! I love thrift store finds too!

21. Your link on a bowl full of lemons caught my eye and I had to come over and check it out! This is a great idea, and I love the way the thread pops against the neutral background. Pinned it!

22. Mandy says:

I love this idea! Just a couple weeks ago I was rummaging through a thrift store trying to find ways to store and organize my thread.
    I just popped over from Delightful Order.

23. Dayna Clark says:

this looks amazing!!
    i would love for you to come over to live love laugh and share it with us at our linky
    hope to see you there. xx

24. Amanda says:

It looks great! I love how it turned out!!!

25. Betsy says:

Very cute idea! I might need to try this. I have a huge tub of old sewing supplies that my great grandmother left me. And I love that you used a golf ball holder.

26. Kim says:

Love this, what a great way to repurpose something.

27. Crystelle says:

Well, your spool holder may not have been a looker at first, but a what a beauty it turned out to be! Quite a head-turner {which is why I spotted you at at the Picket Fence….}!
    How pretty! The colors are so serene….

28. Toodie says:

What a perfect idea! Totally love it!

29. emily says:

truly beautiful!! Thanks for linking to the first every craft link at Tasteful Tuesdays! Hope you come back again this week and show off your stuff! Party Opens tonight at 8:30. http://www.nap-timecreations.com

30. What a creative idea, it turned out great, and your tutorial is amazing. Thanks for linking up at DIY Thrifty Thursday, you’ve been featured! :) Stop by and grab an “I was featured” button. Hope to see you again this week.

Michelle

31. Heidi says:

I’m not a fan of the golf ball holder, but I’m a big fan of your makeover! Way to turn it into a treasure! Thanks for joining the party at One Creative Weekend! I hope to see you back tomorrow.

32. Little Sis says:

That is awesome and I am totally jealous of your mini pry bar. What a great little tool!

33. A golf-ball holder
    !!!!!
    Of course!
    Why didn’t I think of that….???
    I have a old thread collection in the basement too, just waiting for me to think of a way to display it….
    Maybe someday I’ll come up with something as clever as this….

hugs x
    Crystelle

34. Shannon Fox says:

Love all the pretty vintage thread on the wood spools :) Such a cute way to display them. Smart and crafty!!