Home Tours: Impressive Renovation

January 17, 2013 by 24 Comments

Don’t you just LOVE Dreamy Dwelling Home Tours?!  Dawn from Inspired Living  has a Beautiful Dreamy Dwelling Home Tour to share with us!  Before moving in they gutted their home to the studs….the results are totally impressive!   Check out today’s Dreamy Dwelling Home Tour Impressive Renovation:
Dreamy Dwelling Home Tour ItsOverflowing

I have spent a lot of time picking up so I can share my home with you.  I’m a proud mom to two little boys; most of the time toys are everywhere.   I think I got most of them, but you may see a ball or stuffed animal lurking around here and there….

…oh, and my puppy popped up unexpectedly, too, during our photo shoot!

We bought our current home about 4 years ago.  One day back in 2008 I was discussing – ok complaining about – the shared walls of our city condo with my husband and he unexpectedly said “ok, let’s move.”  We took about two weeks to get the condo ready for sale and a month later we were closed and moved out!!!!  This all happened so quickly that we had no where to go!  So, humbly, we went home to my parents house.  After a few months of looking we found this beauty:
Are you confused?  Since we had temporary housing at my parents we thought it would be a good time to find a fixer upper and put our own stamp on it!  We took this house down to the studs, moved walls and updated every last room.  Here is our home today (well, last summer):

We still have work to do on the landscaping and brick – we’d like to cover it with stone – but we are happy with our progress so far.  Come on in to see more!  We widened the entry and enclosed the front porch to capture more space; this allowed us to create a large front hall closet.  Here is our “winter” entry.  You can read more details about how I staged it for Christmas/Winter here.
Off to the left is our living room.  We added all new windows and opened this room into the dining room…
You might appreciate it more when you see the before:
It’s a cold and gloomy day here so I thought a fire would help warm it up:
This room is still a work in progress as several decisions were quickly made when we moved in (i.e. I’d like to change the wall color and the rug – although my husband doesn’t know that – add a mantle, accent lighting, etc).  Regardless, we love to cozy up to a fire in this room.   Across from the fireplace is our tv, we recently took it down from over the fireplace and I love the change.  We updated our gallery wall to surround the TV:

Here is the gallery wall before the change:

You can read about my tips and ideas for creating a custom gallery wall here, and tips for adding interest and accents to your walls here.  From our living room, you enter the dining room….

Here is another before shot:

…and after:

Here is the dining room set for a winter/Christmas party.  You can read more about setting a tablescape here:

We opened up the dining room so that it flows right into the kitchen:

We still have some updates in here – after four years I think I’m finally ready to make a decision on kitchen hardware and window coverings.  The kitchen opens to the back family room that leads to a deck and the backyard.
We spend a lot of time back there in the summer!

The boys have spaces of their own, too.  Downstairs is their bright and colorful playroom where I display their recent pictures and artwork:

…back upstairs I had fun decorating their bedrooms.  Full details of my older sons “Industrial Big Boy Room” are here:

..and the nursery details, including DIY bedding, curtains, and wall letters, can be found here:

Finally, I love having a calm and peaceful master “retreat” to relax in at the end of each day.  Full details on our “winter” bedroom can be found here:

Thanks for taking the time to tour our home.  I’d love to have you stop on over to my blog and say hello!

More fabulous House Tours (here).

Comments

24 Responses to “Home Tours: Impressive Renovation”
  1. Megan says:

No, don’t change the exterior! It is absolutely perfect as is!

2. FABBY says:

Your home looks amazing, you did a fabulous, professional job!! I am impressede! Be happy and enjoy your gorgeous home.
    FABBY

3. I absolutely love what you did. Thank you for sharing your beautiful home. I love the lanterns too.

4. Angelina says:

OMgoodness!!! This is beyond,Amazing!! So beautiful, I Love it!!
    Thank you Aimee and Dawn, for sharing this with us.
    xo
    Angelina

5. I love seeing the before and after! What a great job you (dawn) have done. I also really liked the baby boy mobile. Was that a DIY?
    I will definitely stay tuned to your blog for updates. Thanks for the inspiration.

6. Shauna @Satori Design for Living says:

Love Dawn’s home- so many wonderful layers of neutral gorgeousness!

7. Thanks for sharing my home Aimee! I love this series and find myself browsing through the homes in this series often!

Thanks to everyone for all the kind comments!! I’m glad that you enjoyed the tour. I will be posting more before and afters at my site soon and will share the link here if you are interested.

8. Deirdre says:

Before and aftres are my fave…this one is stunning! It is so bright and welcoming now- thanks for sharing :)

9. Kayla says:

Completely, totally beautiful! So inspiring! Thank you for sharing!

Kayla

10. love this tour and this newer to me blogger’s site! what a gorgeous transformation that retains so much of the original charm. thanks for sharing, dawn!

happy weekend.

michele

11. sarah k says:

Thanks for sharing this…a beautiful home, well thought out and presented..just love it.

12. Thanks for sharing! What an amazing front door…

13. Jo-Anne says:

Bloody hell I love the change to the house wow you did good….
    Oh yeah everytime I read the bit that says confirm you are not a spammer I read spanner instead just thought I would share that

14. olthings says:

A lovely home tour ! It is so bright and beautiful !
    Have a nice week !
    Olympia

15. Deanne says:

Looks fabulous! They have done a great job on this home!

16. Debbie reFresh says:

Love this tour! So many ideas :)
    Debbie

17. What a lovely tour of your home Dawn! Some of these photos I’ve never seen before and I love everything you’ve done to it.. If you don’t like the brick, consider painting it the same Taupe-y Putty color as the rest of the exterior… Cheaper than adding stone and it will be more in keeping with the age of the house.. Ok, i’ll take off my Stager hat now:)…

18. CAS says:

Your home is truly lovely and charming — what a transformation!

19. What a gorgeous transformation! Dawn is so creative!

20. Aimee,

Oh this is such a wonderful tour of a gorgeous home.

21. Terry says:

How are you so young and be able to do this great of a job in picking out finishes and getting it done? My daughter needs to learn from you. It took me years to hone my decorating skills. You are amazing. Come on by and check out my newly updated Dramatic Kitchen and dining room make-over.