Cleaning Mattress, Sofa, and Sofa Cushions

October 29, 2013 by 32 Comments

Need an Easy Recipe for cleaning mattress, sofa, and sofa cushions?  Tell me the truth, did it freak you out that I bought two new-to-me sofas on Craigslist?  I’m telling you, I have one goal in mind – save for my kitchen remodel.  Just a little truth talk with the girls, if I had been there picking up the sofas and had seen their condition I would have passed.  But when you send your hubby and he’s sweet enough to take an hour+ out of his day to pick something up for you — you smile, say thanks, and get to work remedying the situation.

Clean IKEA Sofa 3 @ItsOverflowing

This wasn’t the first piece I’ve had to freshen up and give new life!  Thankfully I’ve tried this before on a chair or two, and every couple months on my mattresses.  Knowing the potential was there, I stripped the dog hair infested slipcovers.  Then I vacuumed over the entire surface of  the cushions and sofa removing the few stray hairs that had seeped under the slipcover.  Already feeling better about our purchase, I went into the kitchen and made up a mason jar full of my favorite upholstery and mattress cleaning concoction -

1. Add 5-6 drop of lavender essential oil added to 1 cup of baking soda.

2. Place the lid on the mason jar and shake to mix.

3. Use a strainer to evenly sprinkle onto surfaces of dirty fabrics.

Clean-Upholstered-Furniture-@ItsOverflowing1

Doesn’t look too bad does it — Little B loved helping me sprinkle the mason jar contents.  (Someone mentioned they had better luck sprinkling by replacing the mason jar lid with a parmesan lid) — I love it when you personalize it to make it your own!

Clean IKEA Sofa @ItsOverflowing

After letting it sit for an hour or more, allowing the baking soda to penetrate – killing dust mites and other nasty things, I used the hose on my vacuum with an upholstery attachment to thoroughly vacuum the sofa and cushions.  The baking soda helped to draw any unseen moisture and deep dirtiness.  It also worked to deodorize the fabric, leaving it smelling fresh and clean.  The faint smell of lavender left by the essential oil still lingers and smells perfect.

Cleaning Sofa Cushions @ItsOverflowing

This was my first clean with my new Miele and I have to say I was impressed.

Cleaning IKEA Ektorp @ItsOverflowing

And bonus — every time I vacuum, the lavender smell is released and makes my house smell delicious.  If you don’t have upholstery needing to be cleaned, just add 4-5 drops of lavender to your vacuum bag and enjoy the same lingering, soothing smell every time you vacuum.

Linking up at: Savvy Southern Style, Between Naps on the Porch

Comments

32 Responses to “Cleaning Mattress, Sofa, and Sofa Cushions”
  1. Diana says:

Excellant idea Aimee, especially for the mattress. I try and not think about what hides in a mattress if I did I would never sleep. Smile….. I’m going to try this.

2. Thanks for the tip, Aimee! Baking Soda works wonders, next time I have to add some lavender oil! xx

3. Nancy says:

This seems so easy!! Where can I purchase the lavender oil (without having to join any “clubs” that is!)? Thanks so much!!

4. I’ll have to try this out!! Thanks for sharing!

5. Christine says:

Hi! My mom gave us a mattress that was only 1 year old but the problem is…she smokes and it smells like it! I tried just about everything and it has helped. I am going to try this concoction now!

6. Jen L says:

great idea! For those of us who don’t like the smell of lavender, can we substitute with other essential oils, like citrus? Or does the lavender scent have a unique cleaning property?
    Thanks!

7. Jo-Anne says:

What a bloody great idea thank you for this post cleaning the mattress is not something I give much thought to

8. Thanks for the cleaning tips! I always cringe when I think of where something reclaimed may have been before!

9. Kathleen D says:

Does the baking soda actually remove dirt stains on white furniture (thinking arm rests)?

10. Hello! What a great idea!!! We are going to have to try this. We loved your post so much that we wanted to know if you would like to post it over at our link up here: http://rosevinecottagegirls.blogspot.com/2013/10/photos-from-cottage-link-up-3.html
    along with a few others if you would like. Hope to see you there.

11. Kelli says:

HI! I have a mattress that has been in storage for about 2 years. Do you think this will be enough to get it clean?

12. Does baking soda really kill dust mites? I never heard that. Thanks!

• Aimee says:

It helps reduce the amount of moisture in your bedding a condition that dust mites thrive on AND essential oils are also a good deterrent for dust mites. This treatment must be followed up by vacuuming to remove them!!! Using a vacuum with a strong HEPA rating is highly recommended. XO, Aimee

• Jackie B says:

I was very curious about this killing dust mites thing so I did some research. I’ve read that certain essential oils like peppermint do kill dust kites, but lavender oil does not, nor does baking soda, but the baking soda does deter moisture as you said above. Throwing the pillows in the dryer will kill them too.

13. Glenda says:

Tea Tree essential oil or Eucalyptus essential oil are both great disinfectant essential oils!!

14. L. Cruz says:

Love the cleaning info but my question is where do you buy the oils from?

15. Lisa says:

If you have cats in your home, don’t use tea tree oil. This is toxic to cats.

16. kris says:

I know this won’t get the urine smell out after the family cat “christens” the new couch, any tips on that? (other than kicking out the cat!)

• Aimee says:

I’m afraid you’re right Kris…not sure of a remedy for that. :( XO, Aimee

• D.C. says:

Nature’s Miracle worked really well as a laundry additive for cat urine (former roommate used to neglect their litter boxes and so her cat used her laundry basket instead–and it’d sit and marinate for a week or more. :b ). If it can get old cat pee out of laundry, I’d imagine it would work on a couch…test an inconspicuous spot for color fastness, first. Should be instruction on the label, but, if there aren’t, I’d think a spray mixture might be a good bet…

17. Eli says:

Hi Aimee, love your blog. Just noticed in your personalized area that you said you love ‘furniture made my hubby’ thought you might want to fix that. Have a great day!