DIY Frame Tutorial

April 8, 2013 by 59 Comments

Remember my Spring Mantel from last year!?!?  The spotlight was my DIY Frame — shabby chic, made with reclaimed wood (these are 8×10 pictures)!  I love them so much and thought that something similar on another wall in my house would be perfect!  Here’s how we created a great knockoff with new wood…

Spring+Shabby+Chic+Mantel+2

We measured my original DIY Frame’s individual boards.  The length of the vertical boards were 18 inches and the width of each board was roughly 3 1/2 inches.  And the two boards running horizontal were 17 1/2 inches.

DIY Frame ItsOverflowing

To keep with the authentic look, we decided to use fence pickets to recreate this frame.

DIY Frame ItsOverflowing 2

Using the miter saw, we cut the ends of the fence pickets off and then measured and cut five – 18 inch lengths….AND two – 17 1/2 inch lengths from 1/2 inch whitewood.

DIY Frame ItsOverflowing 4

Then it was time to be patient!  Fence boards are usually water logged and will shrink as they dry.  If you’re making one of these cute frames, you’ll want to hold off putting the frame together until the boards have reached their dry state.

DIY Frame ItsOverflowing 3

With the pickets lined up next to each other, we marked off the length of whitewood needed.  Approximately 17.5 inches.

DIY Frame ItsOverflowing 5

Using a small drill bit to avoid cracking the wood,  attach the white wood horizontal board to the pickets using 3/4 inch wood screws as pictured below.

DIY Frame ItsOverflowing 6

We found some very cheap labor (paid with candy) to paint the frames with furniture rollers, and then touched up with a brush.

DIY Frame ItsOverflowing 7

The painters did good…check it out!  I picked up bulldog clips at Walmart (after checking around at many office supply stores).  They were just a couple dollars for a package.  I attached them to the wood with my hot glue gun, added a sawtooth frame hanger to the backside of the frame, and hung them on the wall!

Build an Easy Picture Frame ItsOverflowing

I love being able to switch out pictures regularly!  And while I love my shabby chic frames, this frame with a little more of a modern flair is pretty fun, too!

How to Build a DIY Frame ItsOverflowing

Linking up at: Savvy Southern Style, Between Naps on the Porch

Comments

59 Responses to “DIY Frame Tutorial”
  1. Kris says:

Aimee,
    Oh my these are beautiful. How creative and super cute. Love these. I love the picture of your little guy helping out with the painting. So adorable.
    Kris

2. Rettabug says:

You are so lucky, Aimee, to have such accomplished & willing helpers! Great job on the frames!

Visiting from Susan’s Met Mon.

3. Amy W. says:

Such a fun project! Would love it if you would link up at my {all things creative} linky party!

xo
    amy @TheBlissfulBeeBlog

4. Amy mayen says:

These are real neat! I show hubby a lot of these projects you showcase…he’s been getting into furniture restoration! He even wants to do some things for a craft show I have coming up. Looks like we will have something to do when we retire someday….at least I won’t have to kill him! (Just kidding)

5. How fun and this is truly a family project. Hugs, marty

6. Tanya says:

Love, love, love these so much!! Pinning :)

xo, Tanya
    twelveOeight

7. Desiree says:

So pretty!
    I love it… I am pinning!

8. Angelina says:

Oh these are over the top Beautiful!!! Love them!! Pinning ;)

9. Julie @ Being Home says:

I really like this! Easy and super cute! I may have to steal this idea. ;) Thank you for sharing. :D

10. So cute…I love how they turned out!!

11. It’s so great that you kids were involved. I love the outcome, they look beautiful!

12. Those are great! and I love your cheap labor; we get a lot of that around here, too ;)

13. Jamie says:

Those are so sweet! I love this ;)
    Jamie @ somuchbetterwithage.com

14. Little Bit says:

Aimee, these are so cute! I’m pinning. Little Bit from http://www.DecorateWithaLittleBit.com

15. Love love these Aimee! Pinning!

16. Lisa says:

Those turned out beautifully

17. Jo-Anne says:

I would ask hubby to do some frames for me but I would grow old waiting…………lol

18. Jenna says:

These are so great!

19. Cynthia says:

Great frames.

Cynthia

20. Tarin says:

What a great idea. We have a western theme throughout most of the house and these would be perfect! This is why I don’t have to be creative anymore!

21. Such a cute look! And the clips are just perfect. I like that you can change the photos around.

22. Rachel says:

I LOVE this!! Oh they just look so great.

23. Jenna says:

LOVE these so much! Pretty and easy to switch out the photo! Would love it if you would link this up to Give Me The Goods Monday: 1 Party, 5 Blogs! http://www.rainonatinroof.com/2013/04/give-me-goods-monday-3-link-party.html
    Jenna @ Rain on a Tin Roof

24. Love these! I know the perfect place for them. :)

25. JaneEllen says:

Your picture frames are great, so easy and quite inexpensive if you already have lumber. We scored 10 big pallets and 1 small one last week so we’ve got a new lumber supply besides what we already had. Love how you can change the pictures when wanted. I think I’d like to paint some of the frames white then maybe some other bright pretty colors. I’ve already got some colors in mind. So glad you shared this project. We have a craft show coming up in early May so we’ll be busy.
    It is good to have crafts to do when retired. Having hubs underfoot and being together 24/7 can get to be a little knarly sometimes no matter how much you love each other or how many years you’ve been married (44 1/2 for us). We just discuss how something should be made, we have very different ideas on that subject quite often. It’s kind of a contest over who is more stubborn, I lose all too often. lol

• Aimee says:

Oh Jane…You made my night! I hope I’m leaving your same comment on a blog at 44 1/2 years of marriage! How cool to share a common hobby…we’re taking after you already! Happy building and crafting sweet friend! XO, Aimee

26. I love these. Adorable. The silver binder clips are the perfect little touch…..and make it such a good reason to change out the pics regularly.

27. DesignedByBH says:

These are great! I love the clips you used one them, too. :)

28. Gina says:

Fabulous idea- love it!

29. Kady says:

Adorable! Great idea!

30. Wow! They are adorable! Fabulous idea, and thanks for sharing this tutorial.
    Krista @thehappyhousie

31. Nicki says:

Those are so cute! I love them!

32. Great tutorial! I host a link party: Crafty Country Cottage @ Old Red Barn. Hope to see you there!

33. Cindy says:

So sweet and great tutorial! Even more special that the whole family got involved! Would love for you to share at Amaze Me Monday!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

34. Jana says:

What a fun project! I’m pinning this for later use since I have a ton of old fence boards that I could use.

35. Oh Aimee, I just love this idea. I’ve pinned for future projects. Thanks for the great tutorial and many blessings to you, Patti@OldThingsNew

36. Brittany says:

LOVE these!!! How wide are

• Aimee says:

Thanks! 17 1/2″ wide x 18″ tall!

“We measured my original DIY Frame’s individual boards. The length of the vertical boards were 18 inches and the width of each board was roughly 3 1/2 inches. And the two boards running horizontal were 17 1/2 inches.”

37. Jennifer says:

Hello, I just wanted to let you know that I have mentioned this post on my blog. If there is anything you would like for me to remove, please let me know. Cheers Jennifer

38. Mindi says:

Love them! So so cute!

39. nicole says:

This is a great idea! I am going to have to make a few of these! Nicole from southerncharm

40. Juju says:

I remembered this from last year, and just decided to make a longer one, from some scrap pallet wood I have, with three clips with photos of our three grandchildren. However, this will be a Mother’s Day gift for my dear Mother-in-Love. Pretty sure I’m painting it yellow, which is her favorite color!

• Aimee says:

Oh my goodness…I’ve been tempted to paint mine yellow! That is such a great idea for a Mother’s Day Gift! LOVE it!!! Thanks for taking the time to leave a sweet note friend!!! XO, Aimee

41. Shauna says:

Wonderful idea! Would you mind sharing the paint color you used?

42. These are gorgeous!! I love the idea of easily interchangeable frames and these would be perfect for Mother’s Day! We’ll be featuring them at Someday Crafts tomorrow, so come check it out if you have a minute!

43. love the clips, being able to change out the picture easily is a great added function.
    //justynn

44. Sandi says:

Love these frames and so easy!! Thank you for the step by step method you used!!
    Blessings~

45. Melfel says:

This is adorable! How did you get the distressed look?

46. Kim says:

How long did you wait for the wood to dry?

47. Kaitlynn Nielsen says:

How wide are the boards going horizontal ? they look narrower than the vertical- in the process of making these today

48. kirsten s says:

what size are your pictures that you hung there? I LOVE these! so cute