Simple DIY Candle Holders (vlog)

October 8, 2012 by 31 Comments

Want to see how to make simple DIY candle holders?!  This time of year, I absolutely love to incorporate elements of nature in my home decor.  Almost a year ago, Little B and I were at our annual mother-daughter camp, where I made some of the sweetest and scariest memories!  While there, this log totally caught my eye!  Nature transformed to decor, was in the works!

#turkeytalk

It has been in my storage closet until last week!  Perfect timing as I was getting the itch to throw together a Vintage Chic Tablescape for Autumn.  I lined up tea light candles along the longest part of the log to determine how many I wanted to use.  I marked an x with a marker where I wanted to drill holes for each votive.

#turkeytalk

Then I used a 1 1/2 inch spade bit attached to my drill to make the holes.  (Spade bits come in many sizes, so make sure you double check what size your candle needs.

#turkeytalk

I attached the bit to my drill and used my markers to drill five holes.  That’s it!  Using a light amount of pressure on each candle, I secured each votive into my DIY Nature Transformed to Decor, candle holder centerpiece.  (I chose to keep my candles contained in their metal liner for safety purposes).

#turkeytalk

And here it is on my Vintage Chic Casual Dining, Fall Tablescape, click the link for the rest of the tablescape pictures and details.

#turkeytalk

And here’s a little video of my drill and I in action.  A spade drill bit may look a little intimidating, but really it is pretty easy to operate and I love that I have a special, forever souvenir from Little B and I’s awesome time at our mother-daughter camp.  I will definitely be keeping my eyes open for more free, nature-inspired home decor!  I’m convinced that other inspirations will come from our time away…perhaps  more, Simple DIY Candle Holders!

Comments

31 Responses to “Simple DIY Candle Holders (vlog)”
  1. angie says:

Wow, this is such a great idea! Love it. I must try. I have some birch branches around that I think would look great!
    Thanks for hsaring.

Angie, Hugs

2. Catherine says:

Looks great! I might dry it with a piece of drift wood I’ve been hoarding.
    Thanks for sharing!

3. I love this! And your tablescape is simply beautiful…would love for you to share this on my Fall Decor Party! Share as many as you want :)

4. Judy Clark says:

What a neat idea! Very creative.

Judy

5. michele says:

Love it! I’m makin’ me one!! Yep.

6. Tanya says:

This is fabulous!!! Great instructions too for those of us who only operate a hot glue gun and sewing machine :)

xoxo, Tanya

7. I have made one of these before, but I love your piece of wood. Mine was just plain, love how yours has a fork in it. Great job. Hugs, Marty

8. keya says:

love it! such a great idea – I’m marching out to the woods today to get some materials to make one of these!

9. Shauna @Satori Design for Living says:

Love a touch of nature in every room, especially when it reminds us of somewhere or something.

10. Debbie says:

Yours turned out wonderful! I love the ‘arm’ on the side, adds a little something to it.
    It’s funny, I did one a while ago too. I keep looking for the blog that inspired me but can’t find it to give a shoutout. Check it out and let me know what you think!
    I saw you linking at My Modern Country
    Debbie :)

11. Moni says:

Cute candleholder.

Moni at Zuhaus at Home

12. Laura says:

This is SO stinkin’ cute! LOVE it!

13. Kami says:

I am in love with this!!! I will be making one of these like…today! This would look perfect in my kitchen on the island! THANKS so much for sharing. I am dropping by from Skip To My Lou and am your newest follower! :)

14. Bliss says:

Awesome. Pinned.

Bliss

15. I’ve seen these and always love to bring a little nature inside. Fun project, Amy!

16. Very nice idea! It looks great!
    Congratulations and “Besos” from Argentina,
    Silvina

17. simone says:

I did this a few years ago and I still use it. It’s perfect for fall, too.

18. Oh my goodness! I LOVED the candle holder when I saw it in your fall decor post, I had no idea you made it. Of course you did…you’re a super star! :)

19. I love this! Your video is well done.

20. Seriously so pretty friend! I have thought about doing this about a hundred times… you may just be the one that pushes me to really really do it! :) Hope you are having a great week!
    Hugs,
    jaime

21. Oh boy I have the perfect piece of wood to do this too. LOVe this idea! Thanks for showing it off :)

22. What a great idea! Yours turned out beautiful, as always!

23. Dawn says:

Genius! Pinning this to try soon. Although I may let the Hubby handle the drilling. ;)

24. LUCY says:

So pretty…and love the video…I just posted a video this week too…:) so nerve racking…ha…thanks for joining us again sweetheart…xo
    Lu

25. Resa says:

Love this idea. Thanks for such good instructions, showing me it is do-able, even by me!

26. Kei says:

What a great candle holder! I didn’t realise the existence of spade bits…always wondered how people drilled out holes like that! lol

27. Karla says:

AHH! This is awesome. So simple and beautiful. I need to do more decorating in the fall. I always skip it because I’m so excited to decorate for Christmas. lol

28. Marti says:

I love that! I would love for you to post it on my craft link party…..SHOW-licious Sunday Craft Showcase. Just follow this link! :)

I would love for you to add my site and link up to my Sunday blog party. Here’s the code for my button/link..:))

29. Marti says:

That is so lovely! I would love for you to post it on my craft link party…..SHOW-licious Sunday Craft Showcase. Just follow this link! :)

I would love for you to link up and add my site to your blog party’s so we can share crafts. The code for the link/button is:

30. Karen says:

Love this Aimee and your tablescape is beautiful too.