Reclaimed Furniture – Embossed End Table

September 16, 2012 by 18 Comments

I totally loved reclaimed furniture!  Taking something from totally frumpy to totally fabulous is such a thrill.  On a walk through our neighborhood with the kids, I noticed an end table on the curb ready for bulk trash pickup…if I could have dragged it home I would have, but with three kids on bikes I knew I had to leave it and hope that it was still there when I returned with my SUV.  I wish I could say we leisurely completed our walk.  But the truth is, panic set in and I we rushed home.   This is what I envisioned through my rose-tinted lenses…

But really it looked like this….ugly reclaimed furniture, right!  It must have sat in the garage for a long time, with a dusting of over sprayed paint, and a lower shelf that was very warped.

The end table was definitely not a quality piece, but the detail was fun and cute and sending it to a dumpster seemed crazy to me.

There aren’t very many pieces of reclaimed furniture that can’t be given a new life with a little love, aka, PAINT!

My family room needed another tabletop, but with all the dark leather, I decided to brighten the room by painting this reclaimed furniture WHITE!

A replaced warped shelf and some white paint…

And a free piece of furniture becomes a great addition to my family room.

And with Fall approaching, I’m so excited to have found a storage solution for our throws and blankets!  Speaking of Fall, I have so many creative decor, DIY, and craft ideas to share with you on It’s Overflowing and tons of Easy Recipes for Fall on Barns and Noodles.

click for Tons of Thrifty Finds.

Comments

18 Responses to “Reclaimed Furniture – Embossed End Table”
  1. Horrible into gorgeous! It’s hard to believe they are the same table. I blogged about a coffee table I did last spring and I still am amazed at the difference paint makes.

2. The table looks fantastic! Nice dumpster save! Life to the full, Melissa

3. Rose says:

I have this SAME table. I found mine at the thrift store for 4 bucks. Mine doesn’t have the shelf on the bottom of it. It was gone when I bought it. I had no idea there was suppose to be a shelf there until I saw yours. There were screw holes in the legs and I was wondering WHAT they were there for. lol Anyway I cut the legs of mine off right above those square parts on the legs. I am using it out on the patio and I covered the top of it with ceramic tiles and also the top because I had to replace the top of it. But it had good bones.

4. Wow, you saw the diamond in the rough! Love how you added the basket for texture and extra storage as well. Perfect for your living room!

5. Julia G says:

I hate to admit it, but I still have 2 tables exactly like this table. They were purchased in l969. I had just gotten married and these 2 tables served as my end tables next to the sofa. The bottom shelves are warped just like yours. Yes, I am a packrat and they are in my basement. Wow, you did a beautiful job! Now I know what to do with mine. Thanks for the inspiration!

6. MK says:

After you have “lived with” this table, I would love for you to share with us how the paint is holding up. And if it’s not chipping or peeling after life in your house with boys around, I would love for you to share your steps for prep and paint. I see all these lovely furniture transformations on blogs, but I haven’t had the greatest success with my painted furniture being durable. Well, it turns out well if I paint raw wood or if I buy it already painted. But on repainting a previously stained piece—not so much (even after I sand, use liquid deglosser, primer, etc). Sooooo, if you are ever looking for a blog idea, a step-by-step Painting Over Stained or Laminated Furniture blog would be awesome:)

7. Chrissy says:

Isn’t it amazing how light paint makes those details just pop. You would never know where it came from. I am having a painting discussion with my kitchen right now :)
    Thanks for sharing and inspiring,
    Chrissy

8. Kelli says:

LOVE! I have the exact same table except mine is missing the lower shelf. I picked mine up at a thrift store for $20, and as soon as I got it home I spray painted it a pretty turquoise color. It is amazing what a simple coat of paint can do for an old ugly piece of furniture! Oh, and I also have a cute basket full of our blankets under it too:)

9. Mel says:

Oh wow, I’m always impressed with how these transformations completely change a piece of furniture. It looks amazing

10. Michele says:

Who would have guessed an ugly duckling could really be such a gorgeous swan? You did a beautiful job on it.

11. Rose @ DIY Eco-friendly Home Decor says:

You make it look so easy. oh.. just replace that warped shelf. It turned out beautiful. I want it… ha ha.. As a minimum,
    do share this with us at the linky party ( http://www.FineCraftGuild.com/party ). It just opened. Hope to see you there again!

12. Judy Ainger says:

I can totally relate…your table is absolutely adorable. I love the basket you added underneath as well. Perfect touch! Found you at Furniture Feature Friday and I’m happy to now be following you. Would love to have you stop by for a visit. Blessings ~ Judy @ http://www.vintagestreetdesigns.com

13. Chelsea says:

It’s amazing what paint can do. I just love it.

14. Monica Livas says:

It turned out fabulous!

15. Crystelle says:

NO way! The before is so ugly, and the after is so adorable! You are quite the magician!

16. You did a beautiful job on this!! I would love to have this in my living room!

17. Stacey says:

Very pretty in white – looks great Aimee!
    Thanks for linking up to the favorite furniture makeovers of 2012 party!
    And for co-hosting!