DIY: How to Build a Wall Mount Bookshelf

August 22, 2012 by 33 Comments

The key to any child’s room is finding creative solutions for organizing.  Being able to use their toys and books as decor is an excellent way to achieve this goal. When Little B was young, we added Potterybarn wall-mount bookshelves to her nursery, similar to the picture below.  By the time our boys arrived, we decided to create our own DIY wall mount bookshelf.  It didn’t take too much time or effort.  I’ll show you how to build a wall mount bookshelf for your child’s room, too.

Potterybarn

Little B has always loved books…

At almost ten, she is an avid reader, she can breeze through a 200 page book in just a few hours…she just can’t get enough!  “I love getting lost in books.” -Little B

Published in the journal Research in Social Stratification and Mobility

We made three that stack on top of each other for the boys room…it was such a deal compared to ordering three…and it only took a few hours (including paint time).  I love that they are able to help clean up their room!

DIY: How to build a Wall Mount Bookshelf:

1. Purchase whatever length 1×6 boards you’re wanting for your space.
  2. Cut two boards per shelf, each the same length, the amount you’d like your shelf to extend.
  3. Cut two side pieces with a bit of an arc to enhance the look (we used a bowl to trace the arc).  These pieces will be 6 3/4″ wide and the height will be the same width as your 1×6 board.
  4. Cut two narrow strips of wood 1/2″ longer than the length of boards in #1.
  5. Line the pieces up as pictured below and attach with brad gun, then secure with screws.
  6. When securing with screws, use a countersink bit so the screws are hidden.
  7. Finish the wall-mount bookshelf by attaching thin boards across the front with a brad gun.
  8. Mount directly to wall studs or with 100 pound wall anchors.

Enjoy raising geniuses…Research in Social Stratification and Mobility says just the presence of books has a direct correlation with a child’s success.

Did you see how I made the canvas art above the shelf!?!  Such an easy project.

Linking up atSavvy Southern StyleBetween Naps on the Porch

Comments

33 Responses to “DIY: How to Build a Wall Mount Bookshelf”
  1. Brenda says:

Aimee – thank you for this! I love how yours turned out. My kids’ rooms will be getting makeovers this winter, and these shelves definitely on my project list.
    Pinning this!
    Brenda

2. We own so many books! love the shelves!

3. Jamie says:

Love these! I need to build some for my daughter’s room!

4. wow! i love that your version is able to stuff so many books in there! what a library she’s got!

5. kara says:

These are great!

6. Vanessa says:

Those look fantastic Aimee! We have tons of books at our house so I was glad to read those statistics. :-) I think your bookshelves are just perfect!
    Vanessa

7. Lydia says:

Odd, but true: there was little correlation between how well children did in school and whether or not their parents read to them before starting school. But, like you said, the more books in a house, the better a child did in school (not just stayed in school longer)! I read Freakonomics a while ago. :)

8. Love it! I’ve been thinking about making shelves like this for my nephew’s room. Great to see that you have such a good little reader!

9. Raphaele says:

This tutorial is right on time: I am reorganising my daughter’s room and was pulling my hair because of these piles of book. Now I know how to make them part of the decor. Thanks for sharing!

10. Tabitha says:

I love this tutorial! Thank you for sharing how you did it!! I re-pinned to to my DIY board on Pinterest so I can come back and look at when we do this for our son!! :)

11. Adore books but hate when my kids step on them bc they’re on the floor! Cannot wait to have hubby make us some of these!
    New Follower
    Hugs, Jen

12. Britni says:

Love those! I’m trying to decide if I could fit some in the only space I have left in my daughter’s room {without it looking cluttered} :)

13. Thank you for sharing this. This is very helpful!

xo
    Myric

14. Carissa says:

I came over from SixSistersStuff link up and I LOVE THIS TUTE! We just built our 2yr old a dollhouse and it has given me confidence to venture into more building. These are perfect for her new bedroom. I love your blog and am a new follower:)

15. Shelley says:

I love these! I have been wanting to put some in my sons’ room so I am going to have to show this to my husband and see if he will make them for me! :) Thank you for the great post!

16. Your bookshelf looks fantastic. What a great way of storing children’s books. Thanks for the tutorial.

17. All my kiddos are avid readers. I think we have a place for books in every room! Love this idea.

18. Jenny says:

As a reading specialist, I appreciate the fact that you included statistical research about the influence of book in the home. The amazing part is that the gap continues to broaden exponentially once the children arrive in school. So that students who didn’t have books available in their homes, are never going to catch up to the children who did. I, of course, also love your shelves. I need to find a good spot in Riley’s room to make some of these.

19. Melissa L says:

Hello from Sundae Scoop Link Party!

This project turned out great and I love the little tidbits you shared too regarding books in the home! :D

Have a fabulous and inspired day!

~I hope you can take a moment to pop over to http://www.mywatermelonmoon.com and checkout my (relatively new) blog! I a follower of yours and would love you to give some blog love as a follower of mine! Happy Crafting!

20. I love this! I pinned it and plan to build one later. Love, love, love!

21. Jen says:

I just made something similar. Great job!

22. Angie says:

ah! bookmarking because I need to make some of these for my little girls room! Thanks for the inspiration!

XO
    Angie

23. Betsy says:

I love these shelves. I’m always looking for new places to store my daughters ever growing collection of books. Thanks for the idea.

24. Shaylene says:

I love the book shelves, I have been eyeing them in the Pottery Barn magazine. I also love the white chair your daughter is sitting in, it looks super comfortable! Where did you get it.

25. Izzie blogger says:

Well I’ve got my first New Year DIY project now…thanks for sharing.

26. Meghan says:

Thanks for the detailed instructions – I need to get some of these up ASAP before the books take over the house!

27. I love it! I am going to have to do this for my 2 year old! She is running out of book space!! Thanks!
    Selene from restorationbeauty.com

28. farrah says:

I love how deep they are, looks like they hold way more books than the ones i purchased from ikea.

29. Manisha says:

The power of books! Great post, nice to see how your kids love reading. My little boy is turning 3 soon and loves books, always wants me to read to him. Love your blog, thanks for sharing the idea, will be my next weekend project.

30. Krista says:

I hopped over from Tatertots and Jello and explored your blog. I love it! What a great tutorial on these shelves too! I’m your newest subscriber. Thanks for sharing it!
    Krista @thehappyhousie.com

31. SueSchneid22 says:

Hi there- I am going to help my daughter make some of these for her new nursery. The tutorial is exactly what I am looking for- but can you explain what you used to afix them to the wall? Is a 100 lb anchor the thing that you can hang pictures with? If so, do you use two on the back or just one? If that is what you use, do you have any issues with balancing the shelf? Sorry for all the questions. I am a subscriber to your blog, also! Thanks so much!

• Aimee says:

Because they are heavy, we use a stud finder and locate the studs. We mark where the studs are and then draw a line along the stud that can be seen when holding the shelves where they will be installed. Using a drill, we drill through the shelf into the wall to make a hole in both the shelf and wall. Then through the hole we insert a heavy duty screw. After the first screw is inserted, we put a small level on the shelf and drill the second hole on the other side. (The books hide the screws, but you can countersink the holes on the shelves and fill the holes with wood filler to hide them if you prefer). We did two high screws and two lower screws — all into studs. Your daughter is so blessed to have you helping with the nursery!!! Congratulations to both of you on the sweet bundle of joy on the way!!! XO, Aimee