Fall Ideas for the Mantel

September 24, 2013 by 20 Comments

The weather was perfect in New Jersey/NYC (on my first business trip) last week!  The weather was so crisp in the evenings I probably could have used a scarf.  There’s so much to still be updated on our new traditional forever house, but a mantel this pretty couldn’t just sit there untouched so I headed to Target for an inspiration piece!   As I walked the aisles looking for Fall Ideas for the Mantel, I passed the wood-shaven flower wreath that I have loved for about a year now.  It was like an aha moment — I threw it in the cart confidently!  The wreath can now officially be placed on clearance — I paid full price!

Burlap Mantel Decor @ItsOverflowing

Totally inspired, I picked up this wooden fox, too.  I have a thing for animals and the wood tones on this one were a perfect compliment to the wreath!  And with two great inspiration pieces I head home for some fun!

Target Wooden Fox @ItsOverflowing

Sometimes mantels take awhile, but this one was already a completed picture in my mind!  It came together quickly!

Fall Mantel Ideas 3 @ItsOverflowing

Meant to be — the fireplace already had a nail hanging in the perfect spot for my wreath!

Target Wood Shavings Wreath @ItsOverflowing

In the garage I have a lots of reclaimed wood just waiting to be used!  I grabbed our drill and transformed one of the pieces into a  votive candleholder.  I love how it adds a little depth in tone to the mantel.

Fall Mantel Ideas 5 @ItsOverflowing

For a quick tutorial on making a candleholder similar to this –

DIY Rustic Votive Holder @ItsOverflowing

Here’s a little tutorial –

Simple DIY Candle Holders

DIY Votive Candle Holder 2 @ItsOverflowing

I remember waiting until October last year before the grocery stores were stocked with pumpkins!  I’m so happy they didn’t make us wait as long this year!  It’s beginning to look a lot like Fall around here!

Halloween Pumpkins @ItsOverflowing

I love lots of the pumpkins — these pumpkins with the green lines were totally speaking to me!  Just because the leaves are changing colors doesn’t mean the mantel can’t have a few green touches!

Fall Mantel Ideas 2 @ItsOverflowing

I don’t know if you can see the vase on the left very well, but it’s a fun West Elm log vase — love it!  I just added a sprig of greenery from Hobby Lobby and it was perfect!

Fall Mantel Ideas 4 @ItsOverflowing

Stacked pumpkins scream Fall!  There are some cute Fall Porchscape Ideas (here) — the stacked pumpkin Fall Front Porch is my favorite!

Fall Mantel Decoration @ItsOverflowing

I have to tell you all about my burlap garland because you are going to want one, too!  It is both practical and pretty!

Burlap Mantel Decor @ItsOverflowing

Give Thanks

Burlap Garland @ItsOverflowing

What was your Fall Mantel inspiration this year!?!  Do you have a thing for burlap and pumpkins when the weather starts cooling down!?!  Green leaves or Colorful leaves in Fall!!?  Have a blast adding fun Autumn touches to your home decor!

Fall Mantel Ideas @ItsOverflowing

More Fall Decor Ideas!

Linked up to TDC Mantel Party, Savvy Southern Style, Between Naps on the Porch

Comments

20 Responses to “Fall Ideas for the Mantel”
  1. Sally says:

Very cute. Love the way it turned out!! Is that sweet little fox from Target as well? He’s beautiful!

2. Diana says:

Well I’m headed to Target tomorrow to see if they have this wreath! That little fox is perfect for fall. Good Times!

3. Love the natural look of your fall mantel…simple elegance…beautiful! xx

4. cassie says:

i need a wood fox! that is awesome! gorgeous job!

5. Nelly says:

I. LOVE. THIS.
    My favorite part is that it screams “FALL” without a single fall leaf on the mantle! Very cool!!!

6. Leslie says:

I love how you just moved, but you already have a gorgeous mantel display. I love it. Especially your DIY project and that wooden fox! I love your blog!

7. Pamela says:

Your mantle looks great! Love the fox.

8. I think this is my fave fall mantel so far. I love its simplicity. I would’ve grabbed that wreath, too. I have a smaller one in red for Christmas but now I want yours! :) I like your pink toenails, too. ;)

9. Lisa says:

Hi Aimee,
    Visiting via Savvy Southern Style. You and I share the same philosophy when it comes to mantels. I keep mine as simple as possible with each season. As I’ve gotten older my thoughts turn to ‘less is more’. I have the same wreath as you however mine does not have the green pieces. I think I need to make a trip to hobby lobby and embellish mine a bit, yours looks fantastic with the hint of apple green.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Fondly-Lisa

10. GORGEOUS wreath! wow it is just beautiful! Come link up to centerpiece Wednesday and share this post with us.
    Karin

11. Tammy says:

Such a pretty wreath. I’d say it was worth full price. Love your banner. Everything works together so well.

12. Soooo pretty Aimee – I love the little fox and your wreath has such amazing texture. The garland is adorable too. Pinning!

13. Loved the earthy tone to your Autumn mantel. Very nice. The candle holder looks simple enough to do too. My hubby has tons of scrap wood. *smile*
    Have a lovely day.
    Kim

14. What a beautiful fall mantle! That wreath is absolutely stunning– I can see why you snatched it up! Thanks for sharing, Aimee!

~Abby =)

15. Julia @cuckoo4design says:

I love it and I go and pet that fox every time I’m at Target. You know how much I adore animal decor. I’m waiting for it to go on sale though ;)

16. I love the look! Soft, serene, and natural for fall. Beautiful!