Easy Steps to Build Bookshelves {Office}

February 20, 2013 by 58 Comments

One of the best ways to clear a desk or table surface — Build Bookshelves.  I love the DIY: Wall Mount Bookshelf (here) we built for my boys room.  That system has helped with their overflow of books.  I appreciate a storage solution that doesn’t require time and perfection.  Here’s how to build floating shelves…

Build Bookshelves or Floating Shelves @Its_Overflowing

Remember the awesome book storage solutions (here) I showed you the other day!?!  I loved one so much that my hubby offered to build it for me!  The Book Tower, similar to a wall bookcase found at CB2 and West Elm.

Step One:  Cut Boards.

Cut a 1×3 board, 5.5 feet tall to use as the back support AND six 11.5 x 11.5 shelves.  Along this tall support board, use a rabbet bit to route an opening for the shelves, every 10.5 inches, with exception to the top shelf — 7.5 inches from the top and bottom shelf — 4.5 inches from the bottom.

Bookshelves. How to Build Wall Shelves 2 - ItsOverflowing

Step Two: Double Check Before Assembling.

Then he inserted 11.5 x 11.5 boards into the routed portion of the tower to make sure each fit in the space.   (Important step: Stud brought the routed tower in for the bosses inspection).  Perfect!

Bookshelves. How to Build Wall Shelves 4 - ItsOverflowing

Step Three:  Attach shelves to back.

He then used countersunk screws to secure the back of each shelf.

Bookshelves. How to Build Wall Shelves 3 - ItsOverflowing

Step Four: Support.

Add a little extra support to the underside of the lower shelves  for storing heavier books.

Bookshelves. How to Build Wall Shelves 5 - ItsOverflowing

Step Five:  Mount Shelving Unit to the Wall.

After securing all six shelves, he brought the bookcase spine into the house and mounted it into a stud in the wall, again using countersunk screws.

Bookshelves. How to Build Wall Shelves 6 - ItsOverflowing

Step Six:  Enjoy the finished product!

Remember the wall before!?!?  Next I added a fun houndstooth stencil to the wall (here).  And then I finished it out with stylish storage…

Easy Steps to Build Bookshelves - ItsOverflowing

I love the convenience of having these shelves right next to my desk.  It’s awesome to have a workstation that is not stacked a million miles high with inspiration books and magazines.  Clearing the surface helps with work efficiency!  If you’d like to build yours to the ground, just add a shelf.  Computers tend to stir a lot of dust, so I like mine to be raised to height that makes cleaning under it a breeze.

Bookshelves. How to Build Wall Shelves 8 - ItsOverflowing

How can you get organized?!  — Build Bookshelves!

Comments

58 Responses to “Easy Steps to Build Bookshelves {Office}”
  1. Sherry says:

What neat shelves! Love it! Thank you for joining Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

2. Jessie says:

I *Love* these and they will be the perfect addition to my little home office. I can’t wait to build them! …but how do you use that pencil sharpener?? haha

3. Mel says:

Love the hounds tooth on the wall.

You mentioned in the comments that you would like to make one for your bathroom to hold towels. I did just that a couple of years ago. It was a great solution for storage since my bathroom is so small. The way I built mine was a little easier then using that router do Hickey thingy :) I modified the plans that Ana White has on her site to make mine a little bigger. Just in case any of your readers would like another way to build these.

4. Loved this project Aimee! Thanks for linking up to Monday Funday! I featured you today!! xoxo – Cheryl

5. Taelia88 says:

Wonderful tutorial! I loved the outcome!
    Great post!! I included it in my post Βόλτα στη Γειτονιά #24 :)
    Have a great week!!

6. Lisa H. says:

I love this idea, and your office space is beautiful. The houndstooth stencil is to die for.

7. Urooj says:

Ohh thanks alot for this easy tutorial!! I was looking everywhere for the tutorial this bookshelf and I finally found it. Now I can make one for my room! Yay me! :D

8. Mallorie says:

I absolutely love this! I was trying to figure out how to get my cookbooks out of a bulky cabinet piece I have in my dining room…this is the ticket! Thanks so much!!